Magaliesberg Bouldering Guidebook

New Areas. New routes. Retrobolting. Add-ons. Re-grading. etc.
wildx

Magaliesberg Bouldering Guidebook

Post by wildx »

Good morning crushers

I am busy compiling a quick route guide for bouldering (pebble wrestling) for the Magaliesberg klowe.
I am aware there has been groups going there intermittently over the decades and would ask them that if you have any information on boulders that been climbed, spotted, worked etc. Let me know and I will add the info into the guide (photos would be appreciated).

Because nothing seemed to be written down, I have no issue for changing names and FA’s as we go along. The importance for me is that there is a document where it is written down and open for the community to use.

The reasoning behind this:
Gauteng boulderers (my friends) always seem to moan about the lack of bouldering in and around Gauteng. One in two things subsequently happens; firstly they tend to lose their psyche and stop climbing or secondly, they become traitors and move to Cape Town to get mugged at Echo Valley.
On the other hand, I spend a lot of my time in the Magalies klowe playing with my nuts. I realised that there is a bunch of boulders scattered across these kloofs. Some better than others but who cares, beggars can't be choosers. So, my idea is to write down some of these boulders as well of potential boulders in a short guide to enable Gauteng boulderers to also be able to enjoy the klowe. (Or more accurately find individuals that would belay me on my trad proj and carry a pad in for my daily siesta’s.)

Quality of boulders:
This varies and by no means are the massive highballs of Rocklands. But I have found some seriously hard and beautiful boulders. Some big, some small. But at the end of the day much better than nothing.

Areas of interest:
Fern, Mhlabatini, Tonquani / Cederberg complex.

If you have advice or information just drop me a comment.

-Bernie :alien:

climbcityrock

Re: Magaliesberg Bouldering Guidebook

Post by climbcityrock »

Hey Bernie,

This is a great initiative. I’d be surprised if anything has been documented previously. We would love to chat and might be able to help you track down information.

Come and pay a visit to me at CityROCK JHB or give me a call at the gym and we can see what we can do.

Looking forward to your guide and info.

Candice (marketing manager, CityROCK)
climbcityrock

Re: Magaliesberg Bouldering Guidebook

Post by climbcityrock »

Bernie,

I chatted to Neil and Evan Margetts and we may have some info for you. Come and chat!

Candice (marketing manager CityROCK)