Climbing at Manoutsa

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Rockon

Climbing at Manoutsa

Post by Rockon »

Has anyone climbed at Manoutsa recently(close to the JG Strijdom tunnel)?I saw a picture in one of the MCSA journals and it looks rad and wild!It also looks a overhanging at places,but how the rock qaulity?and protection?Im keen to go and climb some of the lines there.The route cry freedom(20,5 stars) looks amazing
Richard

Re: Climbing at Manoutsa

Post by Richard »

I've climbed there two or three times this year. The rock is mostly excellent. The approaches, and descents from the longer routes, are very bushy. If more people climbed there, and the approaches improved, it could become a popular crag for those passing by.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Climbed there way back when. There is a guide-book. Try get hold of T Willmot or D Margetts. The rock is good but the approaches are terrible with overgrown steep slopes leaving you scratched and itchy as hell. Suggest tough long pants. You will spend next 6months digging seeds and various other pricklies out of your socks and clothes! enjoy!
Rockon

Post by Rockon »

Any chance that we can goi bolt there?Not the lines that have trad placements on and stuff,but the other blank sections?
Hector

Post by Hector »

The rock at Manoutsa is brilliant and there are some great routes. I think quite a few people (myself included) would be upset if it got bolted. Its too far from jhb (4 hours) for it ever to be a popular crag and there's still plenty to be done at Boven. Despite its proximity to the road its still a big and gnarly wild African climbing venue and bolts would take away from the adventure.
At least go climb some of the classics first. I think there's plenty of steep rock there that will take good gear...
Try track down Darryl Margett's routes guide - I think you can buy it at the MCSA. If you don't come right, send me a PM and I'll make a plan.
pierre.joubert

Post by pierre.joubert »

Excellent rock, a bit overgrown but not horribly so.
Was quite warm in winter so itcould be possibly cooking in summer.
I love it.

Guidebooks from the MCSA
Rockon

Post by Rockon »

Thnx,ive gone climbing at magalies alot,but im keen to go climb and explore at some new places,ive got the mcsa route guide,im planning to head out there if it gets a bit colder and go climb some of the established routes
Gustav

Post by Gustav »

Also bring a rack along on your next visit to 'Boven (ask Hector?) !!!
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
+27 13 120 4600
climb @t rocrope dot com
iank

Post by iank »

Hi
Go and free Crack.exe It still awaits a free ascent. Currently goes at 21 A1. Apparently the gear is bomber, it's just quite hard. Check the Manoutsa RD for more details. For the routes on the other side of the river, it's best to walk down the back of the mountain to descend. Best route I've done there is
Hard Rock Cafe. Like Hector says, leave the drill at home. Even Darryl didn't drill anything there:-)

Cheers
Ian
Richard

Post by Richard »

I currently live 20 minutes drive from Manoutsa. Ditto to just about everything said above.
Oh, it is getting very hot already!! Like in the 40's!!
But, we do get the odd overcast day when it is very pleasant up there.