Table mountain route recommendations

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Againstthegrains

Table mountain route recommendations

Post by Againstthegrains »

My daughter has recently started climbing with me, and can lead up to about a 15 on bolts.

I am probably going to CT at the end of the year and was thinking of taking her up table mountain, so she can experience a proper multi pitch trad climb on good rock. And then take the cable car back, for an awesome Mother City experience.

Can anybody make recommendations on classic routes (12-15) that are easy to find with clear and simple route descriptions, that she will manage. (at my age, I think leading a 15/16 is probably also my limit). The only table mountain climb I have done before was Jacobs Ladder (epic 5star), but that might be a bit much for her since it makes no difference if you lead or second that traverse pitch at 16.
mokganjetsi

Re: Table mountain route recommendations

Post by mokganjetsi »

On Jacobs the traverse section is super easy - probably grade 10; the chimney is grade 16. But if your sport grade is 15 it might be a bit hard and scary.
Staircase is a really cool 13; there is a cruxy traverse step-over though....
Africa crag is a classic 12/15 (depending on how you do the crux) but personally I'm not a fan - the top out pitch is messy.

Elsies Peak has the best grade 11 /12s imho with Suspension face and Amphitheater Wall; some great views across False Bay thrown in. I've enjoyed both routes thoroughly; good rock and good gear.
Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre »

Africa Crag is great. Ya, the top pitch isn't stellar, but the overall route is awesome. It's much better to just abseil into Upper Africa and climb from there.

Africa Corner is fun too.
Happy climbing
Nic
drewolden2007

Post by drewolden2007 »

Fraser's Arrow(12) is best bet for the fun of it!
Againstthegrains

Post by Againstthegrains »

Thanks for the tips, all very helpful. I am a bit tempted to do Jacobs ladder again, but the last time was an epic with my GF freaking on the traverse pitch and taking two long whippers, with her spinning round and round below the big overhang, and no way of getting back onto the rock. It took lots of power squats from the belay to ease her up. Managed to get the last cable car back in the dark, totally dehydrated, and then a short trip to the ER to sew up a small gash on her leg.

I am trying to download the RD for Africa Face from climbing.co.za, but the .pdf link keeps bombing. Can anybody help with a link to the .pdf, or notify admin to get the link for table mountain classic climbs to work again?