Call to action: Waterworld (Montagu)

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
oan

Call to action: Waterworld (Montagu)

Post by oan »

Hi all

After seeing some photos of the old state of Waterworld (Badkloof, Montagu), and reminiscing about the beach vibe it had, I think it's time for the climbing community to work together to restore the beloved crag.

Some options to consider:
  • Gabions
  • Displacing the muk with sandbags (200+ bags)
  • Trenches to divert the water (if not gabions)
  • Killing the reeds (before they kill you)
  • Wooden deck
  • Leaving it as is and the inability to climb many routes
Yes, I know there will be a flood again, but perhaps we can still make it worth the investment? Perhaps something like:
Phase 1: 200 sandbags to displace the water and muk. At least some place to stand and belay so that Swamp Thing doesn't get you...
Phase 2: Gabions and killing the reeds (chopping/dehydration/whatever means)

I'm pretty sure we can crowdfund this and outsource it so that we, as the climbing community, don't spend forever and a day to fix it. Perhaps one of the Montagu locals can supervise the project? Or we get a contractor?

For those that have no idea what I am talking about, check out how it looked on Phlip's video of Firestarter and compare it to recent photos.

If we do nothing, the routes that have been established add no value to the climbing community. Please leave a comment below if you are willing to contribute financially and your ideas :idea: on how to overcome this problem together.
oan

Re: Call to action: Waterworld (Montagu)

Post by oan »

And yes, there will probably be a lot of red tape/bureaucracy that we have to deal with.
justin

Post by justin »

Awesome that Oan has started this action!

Having been involved with past rebuilds of this crag:
- Gabions: Don't bother. When the river floods, they will get buried (this is what happened to the one in the images below. There is also a shortage of rocks in the immediate area (You could also dig up the lost gabion +-2 ton worth of rocks).
- Killing the reeds - the only known way (besides a lot of RoundUp perhaps) is to snuff them out by putting a black tarp over them and denying them sunlight (a thick covering of sand can sometimes achieve this as well). You can dig them out if their root structures are not too advanced.

We rented a bush wacker (weed eater with a solid blade to cut back the reeds - very effective but not a permanent solution.
Note: These are no longer available to rent in Montagu

- Divert water flow: You need to divert the river away from the crag first. This allows the sand to dry out (base area) and spade work to be performed.

- Sand bags for the win: Spadework, sandbags and sand are the most important things to fix this crag.

A wooden deck would be great! remember to fix it the crag so it doesn't get lost in the next flood.
- No contractors required/desired - for reasons, this is best done on a small scale.

This is an awesome crag - great lines and when we had a full beach there it was also awesome for kids to play (+ morning shade). If anyone finds any lost toys in the sand, please let me know :P

Above: Steve Bradshaw Jnr on Firestarter

Lots of past Waterworld pics in this post (scroll down) - https://www.climbing.co.za/2021/01/fire ... -lipinska/
justin@CapeTownClimbing.com
justin

Post by justin »

oan wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:48 am And yes, there will probably be a lot of red tape/bureaucracy that we have to deal with.
Not necessarily - No contractors required/desired - for reasons, this is best done on a small scale.
champ

Post by champ »

I'm willing to donate a bit of money, and/or a fair amount of time to this project
Last edited by champ on Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justin

Post by justin »

Potential costs are minimal, a show of force is what will be required - many hands makes light work.

- Local labour (Covid makes this less desirable), so lets keep it to climbers only.
- Sandbags - can anyone recommend eco friendly sandbags ? Otherwise cheapest place to buy will be hardware store or the local Agrimark in town will have.
- Black plastic (useful for re-directing flow of water)
- Spades - bring your own
- Food and drink to keep everyone going
- Beer for afterwards

Again, if there is a big turnout of people to come work (and to keep it at it), we may soon have a functioning Waterworld.
oan

Post by oan »

Lots of past Waterworld pics in this post (scroll down) - https://www.climbing.co.za/2021/01/fire ... -lipinska/
Missed that one! Thanks for the share - looks rad. How often is the river flooded? (to determine long/short term feasibility). Also, do you have a picture of it in full flood?
justin

Post by justin »

oan wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:20 pm How often is the river flooded? (to determine long/short term feasibility). Also, do you have a picture of it in full flood?
Happens every few years - last one was June 2015!? see this link for pics :arrow: https://www.climbing.co.za/2015/06/wate ... agu-flood/

GClamp

Post by GClamp »

Does anything need to be organised with the municipality or is it just organise a date and start the rebuild?

Also with the reeds, you need apparently get them out by the roots, otherwise they will just regrow.
justin

Post by justin »

GClamp wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:41 pm Does anything need to be organised with the municipality or is it just organise a date and start the rebuild?

Also with the reeds, you need apparently get them out by the roots, otherwise they will just regrow.
Nah, we just go - this is best done on a small scale.

Correct, the roots are a nightmare
oan

Post by oan »

For reference (some previous posts, mostly pictures):

Justin and Phlip's call to action (Jan 2021): https://www.climbing.co.za/2021/01/fire ... -lipinska/
2011 plan to rebuild the base: https://www.climbing.co.za/2011/01/wate ... -the-base/
2008 flood info: https://www.climbing.co.za/2008/11/mont ... lood-info/
Warren G

Post by Warren G »

I've played this game there before, and while I agree with Justin on all points, I do think an enormous levy is the best long term solution to move the river, but the river
will still go where it wants to, and so the effort will be in vain depending on flooding. The river simply needs to be lower, but the bed there is too flat for that.
Sandbagging is a dirty game
Chris F

Post by Chris F »

I was thinking the same. Drive some jumpers into the bed as best as you can with equipment you can carry in, and build a diagonal deflector wall. Anything square on to force of water with no foundation will only be a temporary solution.

I realise I might be teaching you to suck eggs, just an opinion of a distant observer!

And there are definitely a load more reeds there than my last visit 25 or so years ago!
justin

Post by justin »

Ja, that is in effect what we are talking about (diagonal deflector) to move water away so we can build a base out of dry sand.
The river is normally not very high. Note that any work we do will get washed away in the next flood (with good or bad results).

Too large an enormous levee may get someone jumping up and down about restrictions and EIA's - we just need to keep it discrete, add value to the path (thereby helping out the municipality with path maintenance).
ChrisClimb

Post by ChrisClimb »

As far as the red tape is concerned, you need a section 21c and i water use licence from the department of water and sanitation to undertake work in a watercourse such as a river or non perennial stream.
GClamp

Post by GClamp »

I think Justin's plan is the best. Keep it low key and just organise a day. A Sunday is probably best, then people can climb on the Saturday and work on the Sunday. I am happy to sponsor some sandbags.

How effective do you think these will be for pulling out reeds? https://treepopper.co.za/instructions/

I have used them before on stakes and saplings and they were pretty good.
justin

Post by justin »

GClamp wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:05 pm How effective do you think these will be for pulling out reeds? https://treepopper.co.za/instructions/
Wont work - Spanish Reed root system, which resembles ginger, can grow significantly large, preventing any other vegetation from growing in the vicinity. The only way to remove the Spanish reed is by cutting it down, ploughing or digging up the roots or using herbicides.

See: https://www.conservationatwork.co.za/ca ... nish-reed/
finkettlewell

Post by finkettlewell »

If a Sunday is planned I’d be keen to offer a pair of hands!
oan

Post by oan »

Hi all
Seeing the amount of rain that has already fallen, I think it's best if we do this after the winter season due to flood risk. :)