Import duties

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Josh78

Import duties

Post by Josh78 »

I'd appreciate very much if anyone can share some insight on import duties on climbing equipment. I'm looking to get a rope and a maybe some draws.

Thanks all.
Thermophage

Re: Import duties

Post by Thermophage »

Should be duty free, just VAT and a small handling fee.
You can look it up on the official SARS book : https://www.sars.gov.za/wp-content/uplo ... -to-99.pdf
Chapter 5, page 363 under section 55 for the rope.
The draws I'm not certain about but generally sporting goods are duty free.
Just don't order anything resembling clothing or shoes...or it's duties on your cost then vat on top of the combined value..Sometimes still cheaper than local :lol:
Josh78

Post by Josh78 »

Brilliant, thank you for the insight :)
robertbreyer

Post by robertbreyer »

metal hardware is duty-free. ropes vary between 15 and 30%, depending on the country of origin. By the time you have paid shipping, duty, VAT you will find that supporting local may not be such a bad idea Josh :hapban
justin

Post by justin »

Hi Guys,

All the answers and more here :arrow: Explain the price differential

See also:
- Explain the price differential
- Import pricing vs. local
- Import tax on sport goods?
- La Sportiva Gandalf

Please do let us know what happens when your orders arrive :thumleft:
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@montaguclimbing.com
Forket

Post by Forket »

robertbreyer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:50 am metal hardware is duty-free. ropes vary between 15 and 30%, depending on the country of origin. By the time you have paid shipping, duty, VAT you will find that supporting local may not be such a bad idea Josh :hapban
Last I checked you're from America and sell goods mostly imported from overseas?

Ebert
SNORT

Post by SNORT »

Ok so I bought some stuff on Amazon recently.

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal:$322.58
Shipping & Handling:$122.22
Total before tax:$444.80
Estimated tax to be collected:$0.00
Import Fees Deposit$123.40
Grand Total:$568.20
Refund Total:$0.69

When the stuff arrived here I had to pay VAT of around R1500 or $100.

So to land $322 of stuff cost $668 basically double
Forket

Post by Forket »

Snort, for interest sake, what did you buy?
Forket

Post by Forket »

The real beta with all of this is to order goods to a friends' house in whichever country. Get them to remove the tags and maybe slap some dirt on it if you really want to go all the way, then post it to you as a zero value good as its 2nd hand and private goods.

E
SNORT

Post by SNORT »

A portable solar panel and a few clothing items. Impossible to bring in shoes.
robertbreyer

Post by robertbreyer »

Attachments
Nomad_14.2__71157.1563979796.jpg
Forket

Post by Forket »

Thermophage wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:27 am Should be duty free, just VAT and a small handling fee.
You can look it up on the official SARS book : https://www.sars.gov.za/wp-content/uplo ... -to-99.pdf
Chapter 5, page 363 under section 55 for the rope.
The draws I'm not certain about but generally sporting goods are duty free.
Just don't order anything resembling clothing or shoes...or it's duties on your cost then vat on top of the combined value..Sometimes still cheaper than local :lol:
SNORT wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:49 am A portable solar panel and a few clothing items. Impossible to bring in shoes.
Taking the above comment into account. Looks like its the clothing that cost you:p Doesn't look like you bought climbing gear though.

I bought 695.62 pounds (roughly R14k now) worth of trad gear from Dick's Climbing. They didn't charge me VAT in the UK. This included DHL express shipping 2-4 days (27.02 pounds). I paid R2321.25 VAT at customs in south Africa.

So R16321 roughly.

If you had to buy the same gear from city rock, it would cost R21 045.

Its not a large margin, but 3.7k is worth it in my books. Shop around and figure out what will be the cheapest. I do support MMO and CR once in a while when I need odds and ends, as its easy and fast, but not for bulk.

E
Forket

Post by Forket »

Decathlon JHB:

9.5mm x 70m Simond rope = R2099 (bright green, very good rope, very durable, great handling, cheap).

E
wesleywt

Post by wesleywt »

Bought a knee pad (no South African supplier) the import duties doubled the cost of the knee pad from Bananafingers.
Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 »

I only buy local, mostly from MMO/CR. Not quite sure what I have spent there, but is a lot over the years. My conviction to support local has been put under review recently after I tried to return a Petzl head torch that appeared to have a factory fault. Granted I could not produce the invoice, but still the after sales experience was poor. Remember to keep your slips when buying at CR.
Last edited by Marshall1 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre »

That's odd. It's not the shop's responsibility or cost to deal with it, they just return it to the agents who have to sort it out (the agents for Petzl are Eiger Equipment and they are not what I would describe as customer service orientated). I find Cape Union Mart to have the most forgiving returns policy and they are quite wide spread.
Happy climbing
Nic
SNORT

Post by SNORT »

robertbreyer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:47 am like this?
https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/goa ... enture-30/
Nope, it was a 110W Dokio...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748 ... UTF8&psc=1

Goal zero equipment is very expensive here and in the USA.
Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 »

Nic Le Maitre wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:00 am That's odd. It's not the shop's responsibility or cost to deal with it, they just return it to the agents who have to sort it out (the agents for Petzl are Eiger Equipment and they are not what I would describe as customer service orientated).
I don't think they ever bothered taking my defective Petzl torch up with Eiger. It seemed that CR just wiped their a** with it. My defective torch had brittle plastic, like the wrong plastic was used or the moulding process was incorrect. Petzl did not used to produce such poor quality, I have immense faith in the brand. I suspected that it may be a clever fake. Looks fully real.

So I bought a new Petzl torch (the same model) at another shop. The quality was also not what I expect from Petzl. I just can't believe that Petzl is making such poor quality torches.

Has anyone else taken a good look at their Petzl torches? I have quite a few Petzl torches. I think the issues are limited to Actik.
grae22

Post by grae22 »

I have two Actiks, the plastic does feel cheap - I wouldn't say brittle, though. Neither has cracked or broken in any way and the one has seen good use and been dropped a few times. Other than the plastic they're great, tho.
BENDAHMEN

Post by BENDAHMEN »

Marshall1 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:15 pm
Nic Le Maitre wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:00 am That's odd. It's not the shop's responsibility or cost to deal with it, they just return it to the agents who have to sort it out (the agents for Petzl are Eiger Equipment and they are not what I would describe as customer service orientated).
I don't think they ever bothered taking my defective Petzl torch up with Eiger. It seemed that CR just wiped their a** with it. My defective torch had brittle plastic, like the wrong plastic was used or the moulding process was incorrect. Petzl did not used to produce such poor quality, I have immense faith in the brand. I suspected that it may be a clever fake. Looks fully real.

So I bought a new Petzl torch (the same model) at another shop. The quality was also not what I expect from Petzl. I just can't believe that Petzl is making such poor quality touches.

Has anyone else taken a good look at their Petzl torches? I have quite a few Petzl torches. I think the issues are limited to Actik.
Good Morning Marshall1,

My name is Ben. I am the Mountain Mail Order Administrator at CityROCK and I just want to express our apology for the service you experienced from us. The issue may be a factory fault with a certain batch of headlamps like you said, the Actiks. If you don't mind, I would like to take the headlamp and return it to suppliers once more for another assessment. Which branch (CPT or JHB) did you have difficulty returning the item? I will also bring up a change in our returns policy with our management team to ensure this problem does not repeat itself in the future.
rocklooney

Post by rocklooney »

On the subject of Petzl a different story. Some years ago I bought one from Cape Union Mart in Worcester. Shortly thereafter I managed to drop it in my driveway and then reverse over it, cracking the housing (obviously). Took it into Cape Union Mart to see if it could be repaired, and told them what I had done. They said they would send it in and see what could be done. A week later I got a call to say that it was ready for collection. When I got there they handed me a brand new headlamp in it's packaging. No charge. Pretty impressed I was with that.
Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 »

Hi Ben

I returned the torch to CR JHB, followed up after 6 weeks. I guess they must have thrown it away, they did not seem interested at all. Below are some pictures of the break. The break in the plastic shows shininess. This can be a sign of a cold flow or brittleness caused by the molten plastic being too hot. Both would normally be considered manufacturing defects.

Broken Petzl.jpg
Magnified View.jpg

Petzl is generally considered a quality brand & I was happy with my original Actik. In due course I bought a new Actik from a local shop & this arrived with an unusually large gap between the housing & the battery cover, on both sides. It is hard to say if it is just low quality or fake. My other Petzl torches don't have crazy gaps.

Gap.jpg
Forket

Post by Forket »

Marshall1 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:40 pm Hi Ben

I returned the torch to CR JHB, followed up after 6 weeks. I guess they must have thrown it away, they did not seem interested at all. Below are some pictures of the break. The break in the plastic shows shininess. This can be a sign of a cold flow or brittleness caused by the molten plastic being too hot. Both would normally be considered manufacturing defects.

Broken Petzl.jpg
Magnified View.jpg

Petzl is generally considered a quality brand & I was happy with my original Actik. In due course I bought a new Actik from a local shop & this arrived with an unusually large gap between the housing & the battery cover, on both sides. It is hard to say if it is just low quality or fake. My other Petzl torches don't have crazy gaps.

Gap.jpg
I also have the abnormally large gap. Sad my Nano got stolen:'( i believe its a poorly designed product with cheap materials rather than fake. After 2 years the plastic of the button has disintegrated.

E
Michael98

Post by Michael98 »

my 10c:

order from banana fingers or epic tv (found them both very reliable). over 50/60 euro/pounds they do free delivery anywhere in EU. send to a friend who you know is coming to SA in a few weeks. shoes can go from R3k (SA) to R1.4k (EU). depends if your patience is worth R1.6k, it usually is. done this +10 times sinces there's minimal scarpa products and reasonable laspo shoes. but obviously its different for different sized products, rope, shoes, draws etc, is easy. bulk.... not sure, boulder pads.....

GL
Michael
BruceDaniel

Post by BruceDaniel »

I recently bought approach shoes from city rock (La Sportiva TX4's).
I usually take 2 years to trash a pair of this particular model, this time they lasted 2 weeks. City Rock investigated,saw that there was an obvious manufacturing fault, and replaced them immediately.
Great service and a good reason to buy local. If I'd brought them in from Europe it would have real sukkel to get them replaced.
Chris F

Post by Chris F »

Slightly off topic, but I lost faith in Petzl torches, after prices seemed to leap, and quality went downhill.

Used a couple of Black Diamond ones of late, and really rate them.