Chosspile

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
Rockray143

Chosspile

Post by Rockray143 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:36 pm

It's been a good 9 years since I last climbed at Chosspile and see that you can now only access it if you are accompanied by a mcsa member is this still the case or can anyone who pays climb there? Also how is the climbing at the cable way?

AndrewV

Re: Chosspile

Post by AndrewV » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:05 pm

I've been to cable way a few times, most recently about 6 months ago. I like it cos you catch cable car up, ab down and climb, no missioning to walk in. Avoid walking under the clubhouse/restaurant area, it's pretty toxic. Rather stay on the path and walk up and around to the east. The route guide on this site is pretty good. There are some nice routes on good rock. The restaurant makes great pizza and is licensed.

Rockray143

Post by Rockray143 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:13 pm

Thanks any info on Chosspile access?

emile

Post by emile » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:00 pm

Rockray143 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:13 pm
Thanks any info on Chosspile access?
Chosspile: No access for non-members. 1 member may take 2 guests, it's all in the Wiki.

The walk-in for the cable way crag is just a good warm-up, I don't see why anyone would pay that fee just to get up there :wink:

Neil

Post by Neil » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:05 am

Hi

The current access arrangements for Chosspile is as follows:

Only MCSA members and one guest each allowed. The new arrangement is we go to the reception to pay at Mount Amanzi as usual, there we get the current combination code for the gate from them. Drive to the gate to open ourselves and park in the normal place. At the parking Patrick and the other guy will now be at the car park checking invoice when you arrive. They will alternate weekends as before. They will remain next to the cars and perhaps patrol around a bit, but not stay by the gate as before. At 4pm they will go home but we can stay longer if we want at our own risk.

Mount Amanzi will change the combination on a weekly basis. This opens up an opportunity to climb at cooler times, not rush to get to the gate times and provides better security for our cars.

Members have done us proud in our relationship with the landowners, the place is kept clean, paths maintained, and eagle restrictions adhered to. Please keep up the good work.

Neil

Post by Neil » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:16 am

There are a few other sport climbing locations in the area, Cableway as mentioned here which has some very good sport climbs up exposed ridges, high on a mountain with a alpine like setting, and Radioactive which has one sector south facing so for a hot summer day cool all day. The other sector at Radioactive has opening party permission to make this a dry tooling crag. Dry tooling is climbing with ice tools, one can lead the sport climb, set up a top rope and then climb up on top rope or lead using the ice axes on the grips instead of your hands. This crag is is almost not used and ideal for this purpose, there are many similar dry tooling crags overseas. The MCSA JHB section has old tools to lend members to try out this different and fun variation of climbing. Both these crags are available to non MCSA members, but Chosspile is MCSA card carrying members with current year sticker and one guest only. A current guide of all these locations can be purchased on this website at a good price, click on the link 'Guidebooks' above and scroll down to Rand Rock. Perhaps they will run a special deal if you ask nicely... :hapban :hapban :hapban .

You can buy the book here on discount for a limited time :arrow: https://www.climbing.co.za/shop/product ... ing-guide/

Gustav

Post by Gustav » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:39 am

Well done Neil et al. We were there last week and it was seamless. The staff at the resort are friendly, the process is easy and the path is good.

Lekker-lekker!
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
+27 13 120 4600
climb @t rocrope dot com

Rockray143

Post by Rockray143 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:43 pm

Thanx for the response guys, here is a follow up question how would I become a member of MCSA if I am based in Nelspruit?

Tamtam

Post by Tamtam » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:37 am

Perhaps best to phone either the Magaliesberg or Johannesburg sections to find out if there is a small section in Mpumalanga? Also find out about becoming a "country member" as the club site is so far from you.

Rockray143

Post by Rockray143 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks yes spoke to some one at MCSA and got info for becoming a country member (did not know about that option)

Forket

Post by Forket » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:51 am

Insiders elitist club.

People use to use the back door over the dam wall. Highly frowned upon but free and shorter walk to LOTR. Highly frowned upon 8)

I'll be in town for the next few weeks if you wanna session "off the books" and check out access to hidden gems in the magalies.

Ebert Nel :pirat:
ebertnel(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:07 am

As always useful information from a reputable source...

I think it needs to be spelled out that the University Clubs also have access as they are recognised clubs.

Neil and the MCSA have done a great job in keeping Chosspile accessible when the landowner wanted to close it down - Thank You Neil for your latest improvements to the access arrangement.

It is important to remember that the MCSA is trying to keep the access open for climbers and not as implied by the ignoramus with his facile comments...
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...