Bronkies Eagle Season

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
Rockray143

Bronkies Eagle Season

Post by Rockray143 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:31 pm

Planning to go and climb bronkies this Saturday but I can't seem to find any solid info on where the Eagles are nesting any info will be greatly appreciated

Gobsmacked

Re: Bronkies Eagle Season

Post by Gobsmacked » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:10 am

Hi

I believe the reason for this is that the Eagles at Bronkies have 2 nesting sites and they haven't decided yet where to nest.

I was astounded when they chose the site they used last year as I believed they would not choose a vulnerable spot -so on a previous inspection I had concluded they wouldn't nest there. The long and the short is to go carefully and try and figure it out but no one can give a definite spot yet.

One thing to remember is that the conservation authorities are empowered by law to close off access to the entire area - so we as climbers need to police ourselves or lose access entirely. So please be super careful about what you do - there are various organisations monitoring this pair of eagles and they are not all pro humans being anywhere near Eagles.

The one site is the old area that was closed off and the other is much further along the cliff towards the little house in the middle of the long hard climbs. I will ask MCSA Conservation to try and make a map so everyone can know exactly but for now just try and use discretion and look carefully where you go.

So please go carefully and avoid both nesting sites for now. It is in all of our best interests.

Tamtam

Post by Tamtam » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:19 am

Climbing now closed btw "Joint Venture" and "Blue Boots".

Yes, trying to read the minds of these impressive birds is difficult. With evidence given by fellow climbers and help from one of the experts, I have decided to close climbing in the area around last year's nest, as this seems most likely to be the chosen one. This could change as the season progresses, and the birds may prove me wrong. The birds are still preparing both nests. Hopefully, they will decide on which nest to lay soon! Please be quiet and thoughtful around BOTH nests.

Any info on their activity would be much appreciated. Please send it via this platform or send the MCSA an email. Monitors frequent the crag randomly, and as with all wildlife monitoring sometimes the animals just aren't around when they arrive. We are hoping to install a camera on this pair's nest. The footage will be used for data-collection and research purposes.

Many thanks for your co-operation.
Tam

Rockray143

Post by Rockray143 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:20 pm

We saw the eagle this weekend seemed to be busy around Rat kid not sure if this info would be if any help though