Any decent beginners outdoor spots around Durban?

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
CarbonSteele

Any decent beginners outdoor spots around Durban?

Post by CarbonSteele »

Hi all, I am not exaclty new to climbing and have been outdoor climbing quite a bit. Usially around Pretoria and the Magalies so I am not familiar with the Durban area at all.
I would like to take my sister outdoor for her first time and was wondering if there are any spots in/around Durban with fairly low grade clims (10-20) and are accesible after the floods? I'd really appreciate any input :o

grae22

Re: Any decent beginners outdoor spots around Durban?

Post by grae22 »

Shongweni Dam and Winston Park are probably the most accessible, if you're willing to set up top-ropes with gear then Monteseel has plenty. Krantzkloof ("Kloof Gorge") is currently closed following the floods.

Check out Roger Nattrass' climbers guide to kzn - available at Southern Rock climbing gym (New Germany). There is a (more) up-to-date pdf for Winston Park here (https://sites.google.com/view/upphucktery) as well as other kzn info.

There's a couple of whatsapp groups around, pm me your number if you'd like to get on them.