A Question about the Harness

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

A Question about the Harness

Postby Drifter » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:34 am

Some one asked me the other day, why is it that the the back strap of the bottom loop of some harness is able to be undone. What is the practical purpose of this? The bottom loop I am talking about is where your tie the rope into your leg loops.

Postby guest » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:30 am

so you dont need to take the whole harness off when you need to take a dump.

If you are cranking hard routes, believe me, you'll wanna drop a load off before you go for a send for two reasons. One is that you'll wanna be as light as possible, and two is that you'll sh!t yourself on the crux when you skip the bolt so....

Postby Scott » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:14 am

Hey Drifter I think you mean in the front where it attaches to the belay loop. If this is the case Ive got a reason. It is more of a legacy than anything else. the first harnesses were Swami belts and leg loops that you would buy or make seperatly. manufacturers early on kept this ability to remove the leg loops completely for some reason and many modern harnesses still do this.

Postby proze » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:55 am

Check a few modern harnesses, cos I know on my new Petzl Adjama it's just a piece of webbing. So maybe they're stopping the whole mix-n-match-leg-loops-with-swami thing?

Postby Drifter » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:35 am

Thanks Scott and Guest for your answers.

Guest your answer makes sense to me if the harness has leg straps as well. I think my harness also has this strap where the belay loop attaches to the leg loop and yet my leg loops don't have any adjustable straps so it is going to be difficult to get out the leg loops which don't have straps with out taking off the waist strap of the harness. I don't know if I am making sense.

Postby Drifter » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:09 am

Guest I could actually still take my leg loops off most likely without having to take my waist strap off as my leg loops unclip from the waist strap with those clips which are attached to the straps which attach your leg loops to your waist strap.

Your explanation does make sense. both explanations make sense to me.

Return to “Gear Questions & Reviews”