Seeking second hand climbing helmet

Do you have gear to sell? Looking for gear? Wanted & For Sale. Post it here.
Pictures will help you sell your gear faster.
Drifter

Seeking second hand climbing helmet

Postby Drifter » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:43 pm

Hi

I am looking for a good quality second hand climbing helmet.

mkboy

Postby mkboy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:45 am

Hi Drifter,

IMO buying a secondhand helmet is like buying second-hand tyres hey, You are never sure where its been/whats happened to it.

but hey its your head and its just my opinion, i bought a helmet from Mountain Mail order a while ago and I think it was good value. I reckon helmuts are like parachutes, you only need it once and it better work properly :wink:

these, in my humble opinion, are good value entry level helmuts:

http://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/inde ... ductId=265

use it, lose it, its your noggin :D

Justin

Postby Justin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:47 am

Just a reminder - taken from the Roc 'n Rope site:

The remains of the helmet that Marriane Pretorius wore during
her 8m abseiling accident in the gulley at the Waterfall.

Go out to buy a helmet today and tie a knot in the end of your rope!

Mkboy might have a point!?
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Drifter

It all depends if the helmet has taken a knock

Postby Drifter » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:28 pm

I disagree, you life depends on a car tyres, a helmet doesn't wear like a care tyre does. If someone has helmet and it has never been knocked with a rock and from a visual inspection it looks fine and it is not that old then I believe the helmet is fine.

I have climbed for many years without a helmet. I always tie a knot at the end of my rope when I abseil and I normally have someone standing at the bottom of the climb to pull the rope in case I let go of the rope if I do one pitch climbing otherwise if we multi pitching I do a figure of 8 at the end of the rope.

I won't buy a second hand harness or a second hand rope as I believe your life depends on that equipment.

Thanks for the advice.

African Climber

Postby African Climber » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:56 am

Drifter, would you use a second-hand condom that looked fine by visual inspection?
Go and invest in a new dome dude!

Marshall

Postby Marshall » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:14 am

What does a new helmet cost? R500 or less. Second hand in usable condition.... min R300. I know how my helmet smells: miff with sweat, grime & hair oil. It has been well used. I can't imagin some one intrested in a used helmet. Come on Drifter R200 is not that much.

another newbie

Postby another newbie » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:43 am

Hey Drifter, if money is to tight to mention, you can always buy one of those industrial/building site helmets and add a strap. R15-R25 !!

Very comfy, not

Hey I'd rather spend the extra 475 bucks, but I have seen some that are seriously not that bad, and seems to have quite a bit of protection. A lot better than wearing nothing at all.

Thinking of buying a few for the occasional spectators down below. To protect against any falling rock and/or gear.

Return to “Garage Sale”