Nuts: Wallnuts vs Rock on wires vs BD Stoppers

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.

Nuts: Wallnuts vs Rock on wires vs BD Stoppers

Postby ochre » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:28 pm

There seem to be subtle differences between these and how one places them - can anyone recommend which is a good first set of nuts to begin with for climbing in the Cape and how these 3 types compare ?

Postby Brussel » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:44 pm

they all work well. I have a mixed bag of nuts - some italian ones, a couple fo BD stoppers and some DMM walnuts. There are some situations where walnuts seem to place a little more securely but they can be a bugger to remove to.

All in all get what suits your wallet, they all work well, they will all eventually wear out, get dropped off routes or get lost to the rock and end up as booty for someone else. Then you get to buy some more!

Postby Marshall » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:20 pm

All my small nuts are those peanut efforts. They are awesome to place.

Postby BAbycoat » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:56 pm

I prefer Wallnuts to Stoppers - find them more featured than stoppers, and that they place better. Can't comment on Rocks-on-wire.

Postby goo » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:51 am

I prefer the larger wired Rocks as they are easier to place and remove (even though wallnuts possibly fit in more places). I prefer the small sizes wallnuts (sizes 2 or 3 down) the slightly wider range and the potentially more secure fit is comforting for these smaller sizes.

Social Media

Return to “Beginners Corner”