Rope Bags

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

Rope Bags

Postby » Tue May 31, 2005 3:29 pm

Hey can anyone help me - I want to know how you pack a rope bag so the rope doesn't tangle.

Rope bags

Postby Streetchild » Tue May 31, 2005 4:53 pm

Tie one end of the rope to the bag loop (most rope bags should have 2 loops, sometimes different colours). Then stack the rope into the bag and tie the top end of the rope to the other loop. When climbing, use the end that you tied in last. :P [/quote]

Postby » Tue May 31, 2005 6:17 pm

\"stack the rope into the bag\" :?:
flake the rope into a pile in the midle of the ground sheet, it wont tangle. If you are using a bucket type rope bag with no groundsheet just flake it into the bottom of the bag. The rope usually doesnt tangle but if stored for long may be a bit tangly next time you use it, just check it as you feed it out next time you belay, keeping a few meters pre-detangled, ready to feed out. :)

Derek Marshall

Postby Derek Marshall » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:36 am

Live with the tangles...thats what ropes do.

Un-tangling takes the about the same amount of time as carefull packing. But there is a good change that carefull packing will go wrong at some stage.

Postby Justin » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:46 am

Brand new ropes should be uncoiled rather than thrown on the floor and pulled on. Failing to do this can leave you with kinks in your rope.
Climb ZA - Administrator

Rope bags

Postby Streetchild » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:46 am

Are quit with being so pedantic! It is just semantics - I call it stacking, you call it flaking. I am sure neither is correct in the dictionary, so back off idiot! I am just trying to help :!:

Hell Boy

Postby Hell Boy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:30 pm

Just to set the record staight the word
Flake: Lay (a Rope) in loose coils in order to prevent it tangling

extract taken directly out of South African Concise Oxford Dictionary :wink:

Postby » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:27 pm

:shock: Easy streetkid dude! Just clarifying what u said for the newbies who might read this. Stake, flack, whatever just chuck it in a heap, ropes deserve to be abused!! :wink:

Rope Bags for sale!

Postby ErroL » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:52 pm

I've got 2 new satchel-style rope bags for sale. Good durable, waterproof fabric with sewn-in groundsheets. R299 each. (DURBAN)

Return to “Gear Questions & Reviews”