New in SA

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
Henning j

New in SA

Postby Henning j » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:26 pm

We are some friends from Norways whos gonna boulder in the rockland area, in june. Considering that the most dangerous animal youd be likley to encounter in norway whilst bouldering, is a ram, we are surching for info on the wildlife in the area around Rocklands... If any of you could pinpoint us in the right direction, maybe set us up with a link to interesting sites on the web, concerning this topic... and others, we would really apreciate it!

Henning

Justin

Postby Justin » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:47 pm

Worst case scenario would be a snake I reckon. See http://www.climb.co.za/article.asp?id=17

Next would be baboons (which you might well come across). Baboons are very strong with BIG teeth and should be avoided (dont bother them and they won't bother you. Its quite inspiring watching them solo incredibly hard stuff.

There are leopards but they are very shy and avoid humans, so you probably wont see any.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

PietSkiet

Postby PietSkiet » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:28 pm

... and beware of the one-eyed panty python ...

andrew p

Postby andrew p » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:40 pm

I would be most worried about those cape climbers, they like to scream a helluva lot, they are really scary, perhaps they bite.

Andy Davies

Babes

Postby Andy Davies » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:44 pm

Don't forget about the hot Cape Town babes AndrewP
AndyDavies

scottnoy

Postby scottnoy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:03 pm

There is really no reason to worry about wild animals in Rocklands. Snakes are probably the most dangerous thing you will encouter during your stay but I've spend alot of time in the area and have seen more leopards than snakes, which says alot!
In my opinion, the most dangerous thing about climbing up there is if you injure yourself in the middle of nowhere...

elliottb

Postby elliottb » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:44 pm

I may be in SA to climb for the month of June. I'll proably come by myself and be looking for partners. Think I could contact your friends if I end up coming?

Elliott

Henning j

Snakes and Cape-climbers!?

Postby Henning j » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:27 pm

Thanks for the tips!
Any who are in the area are welcome to join us, locals and visitors alike. Hopfully we may join you as well...

Thanks again!

-Henning

Social Media

Return to “Beginners Corner”