New Beal Bouldering Mats

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

dom

New Beal Bouldering Mats

Postby dom » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:59 am

I bought a new Beal bouldering mat about 2 months ago (to replace my previous Beal mat which, after about three years, was dead).

It sucks. After two months of normal use, it already has two holes (to compare - after three years, my old one did not have a single hole in it). Seriously, I expect more from a bouldering mat that costs over a grand.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Anyway, I thought I'd warn everyone - don't buy the new Beal mat.

dom
the fresh prince of darkness

Stu

Postby Stu » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:37 am

I thought the only reason people bought Beal mats was because they were the only ones that were imported. Beal mats are designed to protect against the damp hence the rubber. Our conditions are the exact opposite, if I hadn't taped up the corners of mine I would have huge gaping holes in my mat.

dom

Re:

Postby dom » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:58 am

Stu wrote:I thought the only reason people bought Beal mats was because they were the only ones that were imported. Beal mats are designed to protect against the damp hence the rubber. Our conditions are the exact opposite, if I hadn't taped up the corners of mine I would have huge gaping holes in my mat.

The new ones don't have the rubber. I think the reason for the rubber was that it was a lot tougher than the nylon fabric and also more non-slip.

No matter how useless/terribly constructed these mats may be now, my old one was pretty good in many respects.

Stu

Postby Stu » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:09 am

Nah the rubber is too rigid, and nylon is more flexible and conforms to the rock. Well thats what I found anyway. The non-slip wasn't a large factor to me and will probably get a BD as my next mat.

dom

Re:

Postby dom » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:12 am

Stu wrote:Nah the rubber is too rigid, and nylon is more flexible and conforms to the rock. Well thats what I found anyway. The non-slip wasn't a large factor to me and will probably get a BD as my next mat.

Well, whatever you do, don't buy a Beal.

GregS

GregS

Postby GregS » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:42 am

It confroms so well to the rock that sticks go straight through it!

Give me the rubberised base any day.

Baldrick

Postby Baldrick » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:57 pm

Hey Dom, I sympathise with you. The Beal mats don't meet African standards. Have a look at mine: www.rockclimbing.co.za , built africa tough.

Keep on pumping
Cheers

African Climber

Postby African Climber » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:09 am

I've had a madpad for a while now, that guy is tough. It may be a little bulky but makes for a good landing from up high.

dom

Re:

Postby dom » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:27 am

African Climber wrote:I've had a madpad for a while now, that guy is tough. It may be a little bulky but makes for a good landing from up high.

As far as I remember, the mad pads are made out of the same fabric as the Beal (maybe it's tougher, I don't know). But the Beal is disgustingly fragile, and a waste of money.

scottnoy

Postby scottnoy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:39 am

The thing about the Beal Pads is that they are designed specifically for bouldering in Fontainebleau with it's nice sandy landings, and not the mountains of the Western Cape!

The Jimmy

Postby The Jimmy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:34 pm

My mad pad rules! I've put mine through insane amounts af abuse cause I'm too lazy to ever clear landings, I just chuck the pad down on whatever is there. The fabric has made little frills here and there but no holes and no tears. And it's a bit thicker and stiffer than the Beal (and most of the other pads) so it works really well on uneven terrain with lots of rocks and stuff

simonL

beal pads

Postby simonL » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:22 pm

Dom

sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your pad. Please contact me directly on info@rammountain.co.za

Simon

dom

Re: beal pads

Postby dom » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:55 pm

simonL wrote:Dom

sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your pad. Please contact me directly on info@rammountain.co.za

Simon

Hi Simon,

Will mail you regarding my issues. Thank you for the response.

dom

Marshall

Postby Marshall » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Which Madpad would be the choice one, plain madpad or triple madpad?

Return to “Gear Questions & Reviews”