Finger tape for marking rope ends and middle?

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

PeterHS

Finger tape for marking rope ends and middle?

Post by PeterHS » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:23 am

Ropes are often dark or strongly coloured so white finger tape makes sense to mark the rope ends (and perhaps the middle too) albeit acknowledging that it will need frequent replacing due to belay wear etc.

Do you do this? Are there any problems with it?

TIA and ciao,

Peter

Justin

Re: Finger tape for marking rope ends and middle?

Post by Justin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:36 am

Yes, I've done this (once only, then I removed it)... the middle marker tape tends to roll around when it goes through the belay device. Replacing is a mission as they do move around / can cause your rope to become sticky.
So, the fact that the tape does roll up/down the rope can make your 'middle' marker unreliable - should you become dependent on this (one dark night out), it could lead to an accident.

Better to use a rope marker - http://www.rammountain.co.za/product/beal-rope-marker/ & https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/ind ... ductId=231

I've also heard of people sewing a thread/middle marker into their rope, but then you compromise the core fibres of your rope.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

PeterHS

Post by PeterHS » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:03 pm

Justin wrote:Yes, I've done this (once only, then I removed it)... the middle marker tape tends to roll around when it goes through the belay device. Replacing is a mission as they do move around / can cause your rope to become sticky.
So, the fact that the tape does roll up/down the rope can make your 'middle' marker unreliable - should you become dependent on this (one dark night out), it could lead to an accident.

Better to use a rope marker - http://www.rammountain.co.za/product/beal-rope-marker/ & https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/ind ... ductId=231

I've also heard of people sewing a thread/middle marker into their rope, but then you compromise the core fibres of your rope.

Yes thanks, Justin, and I always support CR and MMO! I have a rope marker and even that fades and wears. It would be so easy if rope manufacturers designed rope with a clear middle marker (maybe some do?) but then they would have to have separate production runs for 50m, 60m, 70m ropes .... Peter

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:08 pm

PeterHS wrote: Yes thanks, Justin, and I always support CR and MMO! I have a rope marker and even that fades and wears. It would be so easy if rope manufacturers designed rope with a clear middle marker (maybe some do?) but then they would have to have separate production runs for 50m, 60m, 70m ropes .... Peter
Peter, you want a half/half design/colour (bi-colour) rope - the one half is one pattern/colour and the other side is another pattern/colour - see image below.

On another point: finger tape is apparently a reasonable (emergency) replacement for the sheath of your rope.

I saw this done by some East German climbers (think Berlin Wall, Montagu) many years ago - they had taped up about a 2.5 meter section on their rope (and they were not having an emergency).
Attachments
bi-colour-climbing-rope.jpg
bi-colour-climbing-rope.jpg (127.95 KiB) Viewed 944 times
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

PeterHS

Post by PeterHS » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Justin wrote:
PeterHS wrote: Yes thanks, Justin, and I always support CR and MMO! I have a rope marker and even that fades and wears. It would be so easy if rope manufacturers designed rope with a clear middle marker (maybe some do?) but then they would have to have separate production runs for 50m, 60m, 70m ropes .... Peter
Peter, you want a half/half design/colour (bi-colour) rope - the one half is one pattern/colour and the other side is another pattern/colour - see image below.

On another point: finger tape is apparently a reasonable (emergency) replacement for the sheath of your rope.

I saw this done by some East German climbers (think Berlin Wall, Montagu) many years ago - they had taped up about a 2.5 meter section on their rope (and they were not having an emergency).
Thanks, Justin, that's interesting. The manufacturers could have some real fun with different colours for both rope halves ..... Think fancy names for each colour too!

Berlin Wall and East Germans haha. I was lucky to be in Berlin the day after it first fell in November 1989. It was an amazing experience and I have a piece of the wall still, having hired a pick-axe to remover it!

Personally, I would use something like an alpine butterfly knot to isolate any damaged rope or sheath rather than use tape!

Peter

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:09 pm

The bicolour ropes are a cool idea, but actually finding the middle when it's all in a heap is no easier (possibly more difficult) than looking for a middle mark as you are digging through a pile to find where it changes pattern.

If you are pulling it through a closed ring to get to the middle, then it's great because it can't fade.
Happy climbing
Nic