Harrysmith

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
Barbarossa

Harrysmith

Post by Barbarossa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:44 am

I was wondering about rumors relating to the closure of one of the Harrysmith crags? I an catching rumors about either Swinburn or Eagle Mtn being closed due to a lion farm being opened by the new owner. :?:
Is there a reason that this hasn't been reported on here? The closure doesn't affect me other than on a philosophical level as I haven't done much climbing there.

Chalk

Re: Harrysmith

Post by Chalk » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:16 pm

Just spoke to Reception at Eagle Mountain / Mt Everest. Climbing still happening, no electricity in the camp site, but who needs that! R80 p/p/n

Hector

Post by Hector » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:43 pm

I saw some (surreal) pics of lions at Swinburne, although the climbers who took them were still allowed to climb there. Not sure what the official deal is.
Everest is all good - business as usual.

Chalk

Post by Chalk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:49 pm

Hmmm that could ... up your grade....

Gobsmacked

Re: Harrismith/ Swinburne

Post by Gobsmacked » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:51 am

Hi

I have heard new rumours about Swinburne access. Has anyone been there recently? In the last few weeks?

I know about the dodging of the lions but I had heard about the entire place being sold or some such story...

As far as I know access to Eagle Mountain is still ok but news on there would be good too...

Thank you for any useful info :-)

JanoSA

Post by JanoSA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:20 am

Eagle Mountain/Everest is business as ususal. We are heading there for a week in early December. Recently booked accommodation and thus spoke to them about climbing, access, etc.

RyanKarate

Post by RyanKarate » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:55 am

Mt Everest say that “camping is closed” but they are still allowing camping and taking money for it. Just be aware that the facilities are completely run down and there is no hot water or electricy. And no intention to change that in the near future. A bit contentious from them to ask for money for something that’s broken but it’s better than being turned away completely and forcing us to hire a chalet as the only option. Chalets are also not getting the attention they deserve. Sadly run down.

Annelie from Swinburne kindly granted us free access for a days climbing about 2 months ago. Just be aware you may need to ask for the exit gate code when you leave the property afterwards.

mdemaillard

Post by mdemaillard » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:49 am

Hi,
we were at Swinburne a few weeks back, the camping and the comfortable big house were business as usual.
What they closed is the big bunked barn, it was repurposed as a wedding venue.
As well some of the boulders close to the farm are inside the lion enclosure, but that has been that way for some time now.

The lions roaring at night right next to the tents :shock: must still make for memorable experience !

Gobsmacked

Post by Gobsmacked » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi

Thank You all for the info! Good to know it is still accessible..