looking for climbing partner(s) July/Aug

Find someone to climb with... anywhere
h2osclimber

looking for climbing partner(s) July/Aug

Postby h2osclimber » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:30 am

Hi,

I'm going to be in Zambia during July-August and want to take a weekend to go climb in South Africa (which weekend I come down is relatively flexible). I'd love to climb sport at Boven but would be happy with other crags as well. Mostly, I would love to climb, be in a gorgeous place, and meet people in the South African rock climbing community!

A bit about me: I'm a 28-year-old female from the US. I mostly climb sport, and lead sport routes in the 5.12 (according to the conversion chart that's around 25 in South Africa) range and can lead trad up to about 5.8/5.9 (around 15-17) but I am certainly happy to enjoy the rock and routes at whatever level (within the possible range for me--25-26s are usually projects to send or I can get up them the first day but take some falls). I can set up anchors on pro, do multi-pitch climbs, rap, etc., etc. I've climbed outdoors throughout the US so I am comfortable in a wide range of styles with very different rock.

Unfortunately I won't be able to bring a rope/draws because of the weight but I would be happy to contribute to the trip in another way (and would have my shoes/harness/belay device). I would have a tent and would love a few days of climbing!

Let me know if you would be interested!!

Warren G

Re: looking for climbing partner(s) July/Aug

Postby Warren G » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:55 am

That time of year it is not worth gambling a trip to the Western Cape, and no doubt flights for you to Jo'burg will be cheapest. There is a Facebook group called SA Climbers Liftclub (https://www.facebook.com/groups/saclimbersliftclub/) which may be of use to you, and I agree that Boven should be your priority.

I will be looking for a climbing partner in Durban from 20 to 27 July. I am originally from Durban and know the various crags well, and basically I have some unfinished business to attend to up there, and although they lie above 25 you will have plenty to do. To repeat myself, try get to Boven!
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Old Smelly

Re: looking for climbing partner(s) July/Aug

Postby Old Smelly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:29 am

Go to Boven. Contact Roc & rope and figure out how to get there. Finding other climbers on weekends will not be difficult. Speak to Gustav - he will be able to best advise.

You could also contact the Joburg MCSA and get a meet list. With a bit of planning you could then also get some climbing in at the local sport crags or even trad in Magalies.
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

Return to “Climbing Partners”