Quantcast
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:30 am 

Hi,

I'm going to be in Zambia during July-August and want to take a weekend to go climb in South Africa (which weekend I come down is relatively flexible). I'd love to climb sport at Boven but would be happy with other crags as well. Mostly, I would love to climb, be in a gorgeous place, and meet people in the South African rock climbing community!

A bit about me: I'm a 28-year-old female from the US. I mostly climb sport, and lead sport routes in the 5.12 (according to the conversion chart that's around 25 in South Africa) range and can lead trad up to about 5.8/5.9 (around 15-17) but I am certainly happy to enjoy the rock and routes at whatever level (within the possible range for me--25-26s are usually projects to send or I can get up them the first day but take some falls). I can set up anchors on pro, do multi-pitch climbs, rap, etc., etc. I've climbed outdoors throughout the US so I am comfortable in a wide range of styles with very different rock.

Unfortunately I won't be able to bring a rope/draws because of the weight but I would be happy to contribute to the trip in another way (and would have my shoes/harness/belay device). I would have a tent and would love a few days of climbing!

Let me know if you would be interested!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:55 am 

That time of year it is not worth gambling a trip to the Western Cape, and no doubt flights for you to Jo'burg will be cheapest. There is a Facebook group called SA Climbers Liftclub (https://www.facebook.com/groups/saclimbersliftclub/) which may be of use to you, and I agree that Boven should be your priority.

I will be looking for a climbing partner in Durban from 20 to 27 July. I am originally from Durban and know the various crags well, and basically I have some unfinished business to attend to up there, and although they lie above 25 you will have plenty to do. To repeat myself, try get to Boven!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:29 am 

Go to Boven. Contact Roc & rope and figure out how to get there. Finding other climbers on weekends will not be difficult. Speak to Gustav - he will be able to best advise.

You could also contact the Joburg MCSA and get a meet list. With a bit of planning you could then also get some climbing in at the local sport crags or even trad in Magalies.