Loose block on 2nd pitch of Aquanaut

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
malcs

Loose block on 2nd pitch of Aquanaut

Post by malcs » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:03 am

I climbed Aquanaut on Lions Head today and notice that there is a large block about two thirds of the way up the 2nd pitch which is loose. There was always a smaller loose block, but now the entire slab seems to be hanging on a moment. The block is huge, it must weigh the same as a small car, so take care out there.
Cheers
Malcolm

Joshiva

Re: Loose block on 2nd pitch of Aquanaut

Post by Joshiva » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:57 am

Hi Malcom and climbers of Lion's head,

The loose block seems to be getting looser, it's just below the final headwall of the second pitch of Aquanaut. There is a loose fin vertically slotted behind the block and seems to be levering it ever closer to removal. Looking at the weathering pattern on the block it definitely appears to be moving at an increased rate out of its seat. I may be over- cautious but I would recommend finishing this pitch on the left side of the headwall (step left at the level of the loose block about 2m) towards Cosmonaut.

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:02 am

That block has been loose for years but seems to be properly wedged in. I still sling it for pro. Will have a good look at it nonetheless when I'm climbing there again. If it is in real danger of coming out its best to go and clean it off with crowbars while the base and footpath below is cleared - that thing is certain death and will go down a long, long way down if it comes out.....

On topic: climbers should be extremely careful when cleaning routes on either LH or TM - both are crawling with hikers in summer and rocks can cover big distance if it picks up critical speed.

Xenomorph

Post by Xenomorph » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:30 pm

mokganjetsi wrote:That block has been loose for years but seems to be properly wedged in. I still sling it for pro. Will have a good look at it nonetheless when I'm climbing there again. If it is in real danger of coming out its best to go and clean it off with crowbars while the base and footpath below is cleared - that thing is certain death and will go down a long, long way down if it comes out.....

On topic: climbers should be extremely careful when cleaning routes on either LH or TM - both are crawling with hikers in summer and rocks can cover big distance if it picks up critical speed.
Best to have 2 people below with Radio's blocking hikers when trundle begins.