Karbonaatjies Kraal, Karoo

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.

Karbonaatjies Kraal, Karoo

Postby Q20 » Fri May 05, 2006 5:01 pm

The Karbonaatjies kraal farm was sold a while back by John Rudd, who was very hospitable to climbers. I have been trying for a while to get hold of the new owners to find out what the current situation with access is, but have had no success.

Any info would be much appreciated! It is such a wicked place and am really keen to get back there.

on yet another access issue, I was planning a beginners climbing/training trip to Gecko Rock, but I have heard from the owner that the resort is going to be closed for \"most of the year\". For anyone who is interested :wink:
One life, one body. Use them well.

Postby Hannes » Tue May 09, 2006 11:09 am

About access: we drove out there a few months back, no climbing as the new owner was trying to finalise a registration process for commercial purposes. He didn't sound anti climbing but asked us not to climb until he obtained some kind of permit for whatever. His name is Guy and his number is 082 550 3240. I want to head out there sometime soon but haven't contacted him since then.

Postby Hann » Mon May 15, 2006 8:26 am

Latest info on access is as follows.
The guest house needs to be booked (R2500 per night) but can accommodate 20 people.
There is no camping nor any day access.

The situation is being addressed but feel free to contact Guy. Perhaps if he realizes the about of climbing clientele he is losing he may reconsider.

Try to be nice though as he is generally a reasonable chap.

Postby steve » Mon May 15, 2006 10:16 am

As I understand the crag is not actually on the land which John Rudd used to own, but on the adjacent property owned and used by the army. The Colonel/Sergeant living on the property seemed amenable to climbers camping/climbing there. I think it involves a slightly longer drive and approach, but may be worth exploring. R2500 is a tad steep if there are only a few folks going. If anyone ventures out there it may be worth approaching the army dude about the usage of the land as a climbing venue.

Social Media

Return to “Access & Closures”