Climbing Accident Stats

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Nic Le Maitre

Climbing Accident Stats

Postby Nic Le Maitre » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:21 am

Hi All

Came across this report on the causes of rescues of rock climbers in the States. It is interesting to note that 20% of all accidents were as a result of poor belaying and were therefore totally avoidable. I'm not sure how this compares to SA but I imagine that it's broadly similar. Time to sharpen up?
Happy climbing

Re: Climbing Accident Stats

Postby Sven » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:40 am

Postby Baldrick » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:53 am

Totally agree with this, I had an accident 5 years ago due to poor belaying.
Need to put blinkers on guys whilst belaying in Summer with girls around...

Postby Hector » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 pm

"20% of all accidents could have been prevented by better belay practices such as tying a knot in the end of the rope, or wearing belay gloves." I don't agree that belay gloves are the answer. If you're paying attention as a belayer you lock off before the rope starts to fly through your hands.

Postby Franz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:04 pm

I've climbed with quite a few expats and visitors from Europe at Boven. My perception is that their attention to safety when belaying (and in general) is way higher than ours. It also seems that their perception about local's belaying habits are... well.... not as good as it should be (although they are very diplomatic about it).

I think it starts with the way they are taught from point go. A mate from Austria (and an Austrian climbing instructor) learned to climb through their Alpine association. They were not allowed to use a bug/atc until they mastered belaying with a Munter Hitch!
I am curious to know how safety conscious the europeans that learned in the plastic gyms are, haven't met may of them yet...

I feel SA climbers can really take the belay job a lot more serious, which is good news because it means we have opportunity to improve.

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”