Quantcast
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Route guide and iPhone
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:52 am 

Guys,

I've recently started climbing and have acquired gear. I discovered that, in order to know which routes to climb, to know the grading, you use a climbing/route guide. Except for being a novice climber, I'm also a bit of a gadget junky. So, here comes my questions:

1. Is there a climing/route guide for iPhone that shows South African routes? I've started using "Global climbing guide", but it does not show any routes in SA. The cool thing about this app is that you can log your climbs and upload them so other users can also see the routes. But I don't want to start using this app if the climbing community already uses something else. Any advice?

2. I'm looking for a proper hard-copy route guide for Gauteng. This is obviously the 2nd best option if an app is not available, but if we decide to use an app where routes have not been uploaded, I don't want to start renaming and re-grading routes. Can anyone suggest a good route guide and also where to get it? I had a look on Kalahari.net and also on climbing.co.za's bookshop but not quite sure what to get...

Regards,
Franszo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:48 pm 

Dude, you will have to wait a while for all the route guides to be available electronically. For now, head on to your nearest gear shop - they should have the guide books for your area.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:38 am 

Hi

Andrew Porter and I are currently working on a RD of Gauteng. I should be out in a few months. The i Phone idea is good, send me an email on info@saclimbingacademy.co.za and we can discuss.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:42 am 

There is an iphone RD app for Red River Gorge in the USA - See: http://www.climb.co.za/2010/04/red-rive ... phone-app/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:33 am 

Justin that Red app isnt worth it as they just released yet another Red Guide book! That and the app only had selected climbs in it, I think about 1600 as apposed to the 3500+ routes available.

Just an FYI. :thumright

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 pm 

Wonder how the concept would work with our lightning fast broadband?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:00 am 

I like the idea of having a digital RD but was wondering if it is a good idea considering the crime at the crags do we really need to give the thugs motive just a thought

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:09 am 

How about an Ipod with Taser App installed - to keep the muggers at bay :pirat:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 am 

Justin wrote:
How about an Ipod with Taser App installed - to keep the muggers at bay :pirat:

That will totally work! unless your using a black berry... lol

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:49 pm 

Hi there,

I have also just loaded Global climbing guide on my iPhone and quite like it but I cant create an account. it just tells me it cant create account. The email address and website they have in the support section also no longer exists. Have they folded and gone out of business ?

I think adding the routes in SA would be great. As you can add pics it would be great to add the route guide pics like the one from Harrismith to the Area and climbs so you can also have another reference to where the climbs and boulder are.

Colin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:10 pm 

if you have internet on your phone you could just check the RD's on this site - http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/index.ph ... =Main_Page

there we go, no app needed :)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:17 pm 

Hey Franszo,

I like printed route guides.
They dont break when they fall or get jumped on. You can kick them when angry without destroying them. They are cheap. In an emergency situation they make for some uniquely textured bogroll. They are an acceptable substitute for firelighters when you are out of luck. They can handle some scorching from a bonfire, and even in rain they have some use as an umbrella. Also, to date muggers have found them worthless.

If you want to log your climbs to measure your progress, you can either use the said routeguide's empty backpages (which you can manually add yourself with ductape, or use http://www.8a.nu and measure yourself against the best in the world.

Personally I just love me printed routeguide with scorchmarks, rainstains, etc. It makes me look like the hardcore climber i am not.
(then again, the real hardcore climbers know the routes so well, they start forgetting to take the routeguide along to the crag!)

Any other suggested invaluable uses for a routeguide?

peace and love, bro :afro:

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:58 am 

iPhone's are crap anyway, get a Samsung Galaxy ii

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:16 am 

Xenomorph wrote:
iPhone's are crap anyway, get a Samsung Galaxy ii

the question remains, are they more muggerproof than the good old printed routeguide, and do they have as many bushcraft related functions?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:14 pm 

Where is that "like" button- anyway Franz, I agree. Why does it have to be an app rather than a PDF? The new Boven guide on your phone work well, and I agree that if you are that desperate you go look on the wiki. Would be lekker if 8a.nu offered something tho.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:17 pm 

@Warren, you'd need to own n iPhone to understand the "why an app" part...(we just trying to add more depth to elitism in climbing :-) )