Beginner looking for outdoor climbing partner

Find someone to climb with... anywhere
Dominique90

Beginner looking for outdoor climbing partner

Postby Dominique90 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:36 pm

Hey~

So I'm from Canada and am traveling to South Africa this June. I'll be landing in Cape Town on the first, then traveling to Durban and Johannesburg area.
I've never done outdoor climbing (although that may change by the time I arrive) but am really desperate to try it out in South Africa.

If anyone is willing to go out with me somewhere that'd be so fantastic. FYI I do consider myself "fairly" good even though I've only been doing it for a few months. Where my skills lack, my passionate dominates!

Hope to hear back from someone!

Funguye

Re: Beginner looking for outdoor climbing partner

Postby Funguye » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Pm'd you.
Strangers have the best candy!

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:44 am

Hey Dom,
So, when you get to Johannesburg, you are (relatively) close to Waterval Boven which has beautiful rock and more bolted routes than most people on this forum can count :jocolor:
Very good roads from Joh'burg to 'Boven, whether going with your own transport, or by bus.
For busses: check our city bug, greyhound, (and there are others)
You can either camp at Tranquilitas, or stay in the backpackers in town.
The friendly people from roc 'n rope http://www.rocrope.co.za/ can give you plenty info.

The Gauteng locals can also tell you about other bolted crags close to Johburg, and if you hook up with the MCSA you could maybe join them in the Magaliesberg (some bolted, but mostly trad).

If you plan a boven trip, lemme know. We could hook up, or I could get you in touch with others climbing there.

Dominique90

Postby Dominique90 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Wow! Thanks for the information! Time permitting, and Ill probably make some, I'd love to make it to Boden!

I don't have car, so I'll be taking the greyhound or other busses.

Thanks again!

Dom

Return to “Climbing Partners”