Quantcast
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:57 pm 

I wanted to post this earlier, but completely forgot about it (until now). There are birds (kestrels I think, couldn't quite see) nesting in the rails close to the top of the good pitch (just below the layback) of Beware of the Dark Horse on Lion's Head. There are two separate nest, both with chicks screaming their heads off. So I think it's best to stay away from the route for a little while, I tried to climb past them, but it's not really possible to climb the route without disturbing them. Cool route in any case.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:03 pm 

On that note, it appears that there are some Rock Kestrels nesting on or near "Cool Hand Luke" at Main Crag in Silvermine.
It might be worth checking it out before climbing and possibly chasing them off their nest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:38 pm 

"On that note, it appears that there are some Rock Kestrels nesting on or near "Cool Hand Luke" at Main Crag in Silvermine.
It might be worth checking it out before climbing and possibly chasing them off their nest."

Why would you climb 'cool hand luke' anyhow... it has to be the worst route of it's grade anywhere :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:54 pm 

Oh gawd, they're back.
As anyone who hangs out at this forum will know (as well as those who actually climb - gasp - sorry, I'm just grumpy as I haven't climbed a while...) these guys come back every year. If it's the same lot, then they are lesser rock kestrels. Please let them nest in peace. They usually do so in the big vertical crack between Cool Hand Luke and the route to the left of it (Josie get your gun?). Please also give the routes to either side of it a miss as well, they do disturb easily, and it would be a pity if they abandoned their nest because some durp climber disturbed them.

No doubt Parks will put the signs out again, which as always will be ambiguous and confusing. As always I beg them to let me know so I can advertise the true situation, and we can all play nicely without the speculation and uncertainty. As always, they fail to do so.
They wonder why compliance to their signage is so poor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:01 pm 

Damn I was expecting pictures of hot climber chicks..... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:53 pm 

I thought you were warning Chicks about the dark horse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:01 pm 

Dark Horse wrote:
I thought you were warning Chicks about the dark horse

HA! Everyone needs to be warned about "The Dark Horse".

I think you should go a week or so always referring to yourself in the third person as The Dark Horse.