small Olifants river

Ask. Answer. Discuss. Any bolting related issues.
deSouzaFrank

small Olifants river

Postby deSouzaFrank » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:06 pm

A few weekends ago I decided to randomly hike along the the small olifants just outside Middelburg Mpumalanga and found large cliff faces along the way. I've returned and abseiled down a few spots. I used boulders and small trees as anchors and would really like to bolt some top rope anchors. I assume I can't just start drilling as I please. Where or how do I get permission to do this its needed.
Frank
5-10 pairs of miss matched hand me downs
Mixed draws
Black rope

iank

Re: small Olifants river

Postby iank » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:49 am

Hi Frank
We are aware of some really good looking rock in the area. Have always had a problem organising access though. Have you got access arrangements sorted? Please don't start drilling anything until you have made arrangements with the owners. Maybe post some pics of the cliffs. Would be interesting to see which ones you are referring to, since there is quite a lot of rock along the river.

Cheers
Ian

Hector

Re: small Olifants river

Postby Hector » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:55 am

Hi Frank,
Please tread carefully there. There are many quality trad venues in that part of the world. The MCSA has the latest access arrangements for most of them. There are two issues:
1). make sure you have permission from the land owner for climbing/bolting or anything else
2). Before bolting make sure routes haven't already been opened on gear. Even if there are no existing routes please think very carefully about bolting. Once the first bolt is placed it changes the character of a place forever.
Send me some pics (if you have) and a google maps image and I'll see if I recognise it. My email is hector at rula dot co dot za. Or just post them on the forum.

Return to “Bolting Questions & Guidelines”