Quantcast
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:29 pm 

Hi
I have had a discussion with Parks regarding the most recent bird closure at Silvermine main crag. The birds (Peregrine Falcons) have fledged, so the crag is open again.
So, those of you who actually respect these closures, thanks. As for the others... may you take wicked screamers onto manky bolts.

Parks have agreed to look into ways of streamlining the closures. I have pointed out to them that it is necessary to limit the amount of closure time (and hence up the compliance), especially if the birds are frequenting a good crag.

Please okes, respect the nesting season. It is awsome to see Peregrines back at our crags. Of course, we expect Parks to hold up their end of the bargain by taking the signs down as SOON as the birds have vacated the nest. Parks have promised to be more diligent about this, by sending the dude who checks on this in more often, as the chick/s approach fledging age.

Danke
B
PS, whoever the wally is who's leaving stompies on the ground at lower S'mine, if I see them do it, I'll stick that stompie so far up their nose they'll need surgery to get it out. Geez, c'mon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:10 pm 

I dont think the problem was with the closures. I think the problem was that the signs didnt make any sense, it wasnt really clear what was closed. Were the arrows the markers? or were they pointing to where the markers were? How about just putting a 'temporarily closed sign' at the top of the crag and red tags on the closed routes. Clearer demarcation of closed areas would be a great help.

Nice one on speaking to them about taking signs down when the birds have fledged.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:34 pm 

Hi Brent

I think the signage needs to much much clearer. I arrived at the top of Silvermine for the first time in months to be confronted by two vague arrows and a sign saying no climbing between the signs.... I had no idea how the signs on the top related to the routes below.....

What about:
1. A sign at the PARKING lot saying for e.g. Silvermine Main Crag closed totally (if that is the case) or between Route X and Route Y... i.e. directions that climbers could relate to. The crag should be mentioned as there is a difference between Blaze of Glory and Main Crag.
2. A second sign at the top of the closed crags just in case the message didn't get through and / or someone walked in from a different direction.

Just a thought. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:54 pm 

Ja last i was at Ag mine those signs were very vague...

how about tying tat on the first hanger of the routes that should not be climbed.

or signage in the parkinglot is a good idea