Beginner

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
Candice

Beginner

Postby Candice » Fri May 20, 2011 11:02 am

Hi there,

I am a beginner climber, climbed once at Swanage in the UK using my mates gear..and absolutely loved it..I havent had the opportunity again since, but been out hiking etc because just love being outdoors.

Being back in SA I am keen to get out there and emerse myself, and take full advantage of our amazing countryside.

I need some help to know what the basic gear would be for me as a beginner, almost like a checklist, and would appreciate if someone could also direct me to a good retail shop where I can purchase the gear.

I am going to join the MCSA, at the next new members meeting, 1st June...looking forward to meeting up with some folks and learn from their experience and also the beginners so that we can all get confused by all the techniques and gear together...:)

Would appreciate your comments and advise.

Many thanks,
Candice

joshpickering

Re: Beginner

Postby joshpickering » Fri May 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Let us know where you're based Candice. We can give advice on what gear to go for, but it is best to get to a decent outlet and try stuff on!

Candice

Postby Candice » Fri May 20, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks appreciate your email, I live in Edenvale in Johannesburg..

Gustav

Postby Gustav » Fri May 20, 2011 1:04 pm

Drifters in Sandton is the best stocked shop in SA, otherwise come climbing in 'Boven and visit the Roc 'n Rope shop at the same time! :bom:
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Candice

Postby Candice » Fri May 20, 2011 2:33 pm

Thank you so much :)

Gregdegidts

Postby Gregdegidts » Fri May 20, 2011 4:17 pm

Hey Candice
Drop by Wonderwall in Kya Sands (local climbing gym) sometime you should meet a bunch of people there willing to head out to the rock with you. I'm often there mid week , so if you see a guy prancing around in Pyjama pants give me a holler.

Gustav hope to see you early next month in Boven this months been hectic here in Joeys been missing your spot :thumright see ya soon

Cheers
Greg

Baldrick

Postby Baldrick » Tue May 24, 2011 11:14 am

Hi Candice, would be happy to show you the ropes on natural rock. We climb outdoors most weekends in and around Jhb and I am at Wonderwall on Thurs evenings, ask the staff for me!
Cheers Nigel

simonL

Postby simonL » Tue May 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Hi Candice

check out the articles at the following web page - check lists included :
on-the-edge.co.za/page/climbing-gear

Old Smelly

Postby Old Smelly » Wed May 25, 2011 7:17 am

Hi there,

Two things,

1. Try the MCSA (Mountain Club of South Africa) Orientation programme - they will show you the ropes so to speak & introduce you to a group of people who are learning at the same time as you.

2. Try & learn the basics (& the rest) from accomplished climbers or from a professional instructor. I am not saying that most climbers do not know some of the right stuff (I must say I have seen many @ the gym & @ sport crags) but it helps to get instruction from someone who has the skill set for instruction & a thorough programme.

Courses like those on offer from Roc & Rope are a great idea if you want to know that what you know is what you ought to know. Also Drifters is a great gear shop with knowledgeable staff!
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

burgman

Postby burgman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:19 am

Hi Steve!

You spelled SPAM incorrectly...

Justin

Postby Justin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:22 am

Steve is about to be deleted :bom:
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Social Media