Quantcast
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Theft at Muizenberg
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:23 am 

We climbed on Muizenberg on Saturday and parked my bakkie in the usual place opposite the path on Boyes Drive. When we came back down at about 4:30 pm two wheels on the side away from the crag had been stolen. Real bummer. At least they were decent thieves and put wooden blocks under the chassis so that the discs weren't on the ground. So other climbers - be aware. This may be a new trick.

Post subject: Re: Theft at Muizenberg
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:03 am 

That sucks!!

Since our car got broken into (below Hellfire - just park at the hotel and you're fine) I've been thinking about making a sign that says "This car is protected by the Cape Sniper Club - go ahead make my day"

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:29 am 

Crap, that sucks!

We also climbed muizenberg the same day, we were parked in front of you in the gold golf and noticed the wheels missing when we got back. We figured someone had stolen them and hung around for a bit to see if we could see you guys but couldn't. We were down there at about 3:30 pm.

Sorry to hear this, Hope you came right?

For those that are interested in where exactly this happened, on Boyes drive just before Old Boyes drive heading towards Kalk Bay on your left, across from the trail up to Muizenberg buttress.

It may be worth it to report it to Mountain Men, http://www.mountainmen.co.za , I used to stay in Cap Michel Close, just off Old Boyes drive and there is a guy that patrols that area. He walks between the lower roads going down to the train station and every hour or so walks up onto Boyes Drive.

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:38 am 

I wish the park rangers would patrol against things like this instead of wasting time throwing boulderers out of Redhill...

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:41 pm 

Yes, crazy world we live in. Just so grateful they didn't steal the whole car! Got sorted out by AA by 9pm. Thanks for waiting for us but was grunting up the last pitch of Shadow at that time. Now only out of pocket for R 3800 for 2 rims,2 tyres, 8 wheel nuts and 2 wheel trims. Oh well, Ho hum. Now who shall I vote for tomorrow?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:47 pm 

Also been broken into along Boyes Drive twice in the last few years and makes me wary of going back. That feeling of looking down whilst it's happening and not being able to do much is not lekker.
The second time they messed up the ignition and took speakers... AA also came to the rescue.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:40 pm 

Hi there

You could try the solution that we adopted for Hellfire and the MCSA Du Toits Kloof hut when the break ins were really bad. First, drive a crappy car :) Second, leave nothing of value in it and have the cubbyhole open, Third (and this was when it got really bad) leave the doors unlocked and the windows down. Desperate times... (oh and take the distributor cap off)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:30 pm 

@ Nic

How does any of that stop them from stealing wheels??? I think you need to add to your list:

- Take all 4 wheels off, and carry them up to the crag with you! (Take the spare wheel too!! They WILL find it!) :thumleft:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:43 pm 

@Donkey

You're just miffed cuz they stole your mp3 player last time!

You could use these locking wheel nuts, but the same Google Search that found that also found this. So maybe not so simple...

...drive a car without wheels :jocolor:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:07 am 

Ag. I am so sorry to hear! I know some of the boulderers park on Main Road (I believe it is Main Road) and then take the stairs up to Boyes Drive. Supposedly it is safer to park there. Sorry to hear, though...

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:37 am 

I think you can get McGard wheel locks from TWT. I'm considering getting some.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:06 pm 

Justin,
You said if going to Hellfire we should park at the hotel - what hotel? Have to leave my car in that area for the weekend so would like to make sure it's safe.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:14 pm 

Bickell wrote:
Justin,
You said if going to Hellfire we should park at the hotel - what hotel? Have to leave my car in that area for the weekend so would like to make sure it's safe.
Thanks.

There's a hotel thingy on the left 1 or 2km before the path up to Hellfire. Nice big parking lot. Although I wonder what they'll do if the car is left there over the weekend? Maybe get someone to drop you off?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:17 pm 

Drive through the tunnel (coming from Cape Town). The hotel is about 2.2km's after the tunnel on the left. Be sure to park your car out of the way if you are leaving it overnight (i.e. don't take the prime parking - so as not to piss the management off).

*Note: There is almost always a speed trap outside the hotel (on the N1 - 100km zone).

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:19 pm 

Just thinking... probably a good idea to let them know that you are parking your car there overnight so no one goes looking for a 'lost hikers'.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:21 pm 

i have left my car there over a weekend and it was okay - lots of parking so it should not be an issue. nobody came looking for me either (i do not think they know whose car it is; might as well be a guest).

make sure to go get a few cold brewskies at the pub after the climbing to show some support (and it makes for a happy ending to the weekend) :thumleft: