Easy Access Crag for Film Crew

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
megawat

Easy Access Crag for Film Crew

Postby megawat » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:42 pm

Does anyone have any bright ideas for a good looking crag that a film crew could rock up to and drive right to the base of a climb (or at least pretty damn close)? They need to be able to set up a ?jig? from their vehicle (erm, I think thats what he said - Im not so clued on this stuff - this is a favour for someone) and not to have to haul too much equipment too far.

I was wondering what the Wilds and Melville were like...I have suggested Bronkies tho they cannot get the vehicle up close...(don't worry, going through proper channels...)

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Have Fun...

Grigri

Postby Grigri » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:40 pm

Send them to Khya Sands! Film crews generally have sweet f-all clue about how to conduct themselves in nature and often stuff the place up completely (I used to work in that industry and have seen more than one pristine spot totally screwed).

megawat

Postby megawat » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:05 am

Grigri, these dudes are actually pretty nature conscious - they are shooting a natural documentary under the auspices of a VERY qualified and well known paleoanthropologist, and my sister who is an animal, plants and environmental scientist will be on hand. They are going with someone who is highly credible within the climbing community up here for being able to look out for the land issues.

:shock:
Have Fun...

Grigri

Postby Grigri » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:39 pm

Good to hear, sounds better than some of the commercial shoots Ive worked on where quite a large amount of mess and damage was caused.

Scotsman

Postby Scotsman » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:01 am

Don't worry about ruining Joburg climbing venues with a film crew most of them are buggered already (see the used condoms, underwear and general trash at the venues).

The Wilds is probably the easiest access with only ten metres up from the road to go till the climbing but it is really bouldering only. The Glade is several hundred metres in from the road and while not much of a hike it depends on how much kit you have to haul. Melville Koppies is less of a walk but farily unappealing.

What are you filming in particular?

j

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”