Quantcast
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:54 pm 

My dad and I stopped by the Oudtshoorn crag today after visiting the (awesome) Cango Caves and we're both keen to try the Initiation Sector, but he's got no gear and I have no rope or draws. Does anyone happen to be in the area and want to climb? And hey, if you want to do grade 30+ routes, I'll happily belay once I pick my jaw up off the ground. ;)
Alternatively, does anyone know of a place to rent gear and/or buy ropes in the Mossel Bay / George / Oudtshoorn area? I talked to the guy in the climbing gym in George and he said there aren't. They rent out gear themselves, but only on their own expeditions and R800 for the two of us is just too much. We'll be in the area (currently Mossel Bay) for a few days and could stay longer if it means climbing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:19 am 

Hey bro, good to hear you going out there :)

As for places to get gear...you are in luck!
Fearless indoor climbing just opened recently in George.
You can call them on 082 304 8228 (Andre or Lauren should answer) :)
We are all starting out and the max difficulty we can climb is around 22 or so, but we super keen to head out to the rock as often as possible and Fearless also does day tours and gear/etc/etc :)

Cheers,
Cuan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:29 pm 

Heh, we're in a car in George heading to Fearless right now, actually. Should be there in about 5 minutes for a gym session (obviously, with this weather).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:20 pm 

Hi, we are a group of climbers from the George region. we have a FaceBook page "Garden Route Climbing" and go to Oudtshoorn fairly often. One or 2 of the guys are from Oudtshoorn side. We usually do the initation wall and drool at the main wall.

How long u still gonna be in Oudtshoorn...we might do something this weekend again...visit the FB page!

Jacques

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:50 pm 

Hey, Cuan, here's a more in-depth reply, the other being typed and sent literally as we were pulling up to the gym.
Yup, they've very recently opened! They're still constructing new walls and an addition to the bouldering cave for their upcoming competitions. My dad is very sensitive to noise and wouldn't have been able to hack the construction noise, so we had to save our gym session for the way back in 1.5 - 2 weeks time. I'm guessing it was Laren I talked to, and she seemed surprised by the R800 figure, so maybe we'd be able to work out something cheaper. Or if we could get other people in on an a trip, we could share that overhead cost and make it easier to swallow. She also said there's lots of good, easier climbing around Wilderness, too, so maybe we'll able to check that out once back that way again. Here's hoping!
No worries there (for you), I started climbing 10 years ago and can barely cheat my way up a 19. ;D
But if you have a rope and want to go up, we're super keen as well. We've gotta have the rental car back in George by Feb. 22nd, but are hoping to get back to Mossel Bay a few days sooner and will then probably base ourselves there again for the rest of the month. If you want to climb anywhere anytime in that period, please let me know! 078 720 5855.

Hey, Jacques. Nice, I wish I'd hooked up with you guys a few days ago. I'm one of the last three people on Earth that don't do Facebook, but I took a look at the page nonetheless. So would I look for future Oudtshoorn (or wherever) trips in the Events? Or would you organize that through the Wall or Discussions sections? We're already near Grahamstown, en route to Durban and then Kruger, so can't join you this weekend (but have a blast, that looks like wicked rock!) but will be back in Mossel Bay for the last week or so of February if you're going out again around then.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:31 pm 

Hey, yeah, ur timing was just out...we had quiet a nice weekend now in Montagu. We might do Wolwe this Sunday, but jus keep in contact when u in the area again. Always up for a climb.

J

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:41 pm 

Cool, I really want to spend some time in Montagu when I'm back that way in March, I just don't know how I'm going to fit it all in. 8S I'm hoping to climb in Pietermaritzburg this Sunday if we're not in Kruger, but for curiosity's sake, where is Wolve? I haven't heard of it before. Is this it?
http://travelingluck.com/Africa/South+A ... #local_map
Cool, thanks. We should be back that way in 7 - 10 days, so I'll hit you up then.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:40 am 

Hey, folks, we're back in Mossel Bay as of last night in case anyone wants to hit the crags. I imagine we'll be in the area at least a week. The weather for Oudtshoorn looks semi-decent for this weekend, depending on who you ask (Google: Clear Sat, Chance of rain Sun; Weather Underground: Partly cloudy, Mostly cloudy).