STD's

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Concerned

STD's

Postby Concerned » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:54 am

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any idea if blood disorders (ie: HIV) can be transmitted by climbing ?
Just worried that if my hand gets gaffed and there is an open sore and I follow another that may be infected and he/she has also injured themselfs could this transmit the disorder ?

I would imagine that this could be more of an issue when bouldering.
:?:

Postby » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:18 am

You bleed on the rock?? Thats disgusting!!! :shock:

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:33 am

As far as I know, HIV needs body temperature to survive (thats why mosquitos cant transmit it - their body temperature are to low) and when HIV is open to air it dies very fast - the risk from a smear of blood is miniscule but put your hand into a warm puddle :?: and you might need to be concerned

Bron_

Postby Bron_ » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:26 pm

The HIV virus is actually a pretty delicate little thing when it's outside the human body and doesn't survive for long (2 minutes or something like that) outside its host.
Other viruses are a lot hardier, like hepatitis (I think?).
But anyway, I for one couldn't tell you whether or not you're actually at risk from anything like that (although it seems like a really unlikely scenario). If this is something you're really concerned about though, you should probably be asking a doctor and not a bunch of climbers.

Jay

Re:

Postby Jay » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:01 pm

Anonymous wrote:You bleed on the rock?? Thats disgusting!!! :shock:

Troll

Postby » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:45 pm

Troll? yes, but it was funny yes? I spoke to a doctor friend who says HIV will not live outside the body unless in a large warm wet mass (like half a litre or kilo). Unless your climbing buddy has disemboweled himself all over the problem/route it would be impossible to catch HIV this way. Dont know about other diseases tho.

Boknaai

Postby Boknaai » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:10 am

If you specifically asking about STD's and climbing, I have a little story and word of warning for you.....

It was a good few years back. After a gruelling day aiding up Africa Crag, I prepared to settle in for the night on the big ledge halfway up. It was then that I noticed, sitting in the corner was a frisky looking Himalayan Tahr. Her fur was gently ruffled by the evening breeze.... and she was making those enticing doe-eyes... at me!

We got chatting, shared a bottle of wine, one thing lead to another, and ....... when I woke up she was gone. GONE!!

By the time I'd pulled myself together, cursed my lonely luck, and finished bat-hooking my way up the last few pitches, the itch had started. By the time I got back to the car it was unbearable. I rushed off to the Medi-Clinic in town, to have my fears confirmed. Crab-lice! That Tahr-ty little hussy! Following the doctors advice, I had myself checked for other STD's, and would you know..... I had the dreaded Goatorrhea!

Well, now the Tahrs have now all been moved on to the great pasture in the sky, but as I continue to spend time on the mountain I secretly hope that my doey dream might still be wondering around..... looking for me.

The End

Rastaman

Postby Rastaman » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:50 am

Classic :D

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”