Al's Bells

Swop tips on moves, route conditions, etc.
shorti

Al's Bells

Postby shorti » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:08 pm

I hate to bring this up, but has anyone had a look at the base of Al's Bells at the Tranquillitas crag? Is it safe? I did go there once, but only to try figure out what happened, so I didn't really concentrate on the route itself. From what I recall, there's still part of the block that came off attached to the cliff, but it is what used to be the left side of the block. I think you can access the corner without touching the block, but I'm not sure now. I think the belayer will still be in danger though, because the best spot to belay from is pretty much right below it.

I only brought it up, because I think it's a great route and one of the few routes around to make it worth while to bring a trad rack to wonderland. I have no desire to ever climb the route again, but it is too good a route to just forget about. It's a bit of a test piece for aspiring traddies in my opinion, but I would hate to see someone else getting hurt if the rest of the block should come down.

brianweaver

Re: Al's Bells

Postby brianweaver » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:09 pm

I have looked at it recently. I would say that there is a great deal of choss there at the moment which needs to be cleaned. If you could ab in from another line you could safely break off the remaining choss. I would recommend a hammer at the very least to hit loose rocks free...

Above all, be careful
I hate this real world place... I'd be more than happy to live out there rather...

Return to “Beta Section”