Rocklands is dangerous... always wear a seat belt.

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to info@climbing.co.za.

Rocklands is dangerous... always wear a seat belt.

Postby » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:21 am

My sources may be miss leading but I think Marijus, Emile and Torsten where in a car crash at Rocklands, near the T-Lady boulder. The car lost control and rolled down the hill a couple of times. They are all okay except for a few cuts and bruises.

Marijus

Postby Marijus » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:46 pm

We are all ok, thanks to german engineering! Just some cuts and stiff necks/legs. The car swerved off the road when we tried to avoid a large stone in the gravel. We managed to miss all the boulders and rolled in between them onto a clearing... Pity, it was a nice car.

Justin

Postby Justin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:48 pm

Good to hear you're all ok
Everyone gets to write off a car (or something, at least once in their lives :)
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

G u y

Postby G u y » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:19 am

Let's start a really dumb (male) eg comp*. I trashed a car on Ou Kappse Weg - who has done it on a more exciting road?

* people who got seriously injured or killed are immediately excluded from this game.

G u y

Postby G u y » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:26 am

Sorry, that was a really dumb (male) EGO comp. Ovbiously chicks are welcome to play this game too - but I suspect that they are too evolved for this crap.

MarkM

Postby MarkM » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:53 am

Nice attempt at a save there G U Y.

Flex (Marc Efune) crashed us into a ditch on the way to Harrismith after trying to get his car to 'fishtail' on one of the dirt roads. Fortunately the only damage was a burst tyre (& ego), so I doubt it's going to win this comp!

BTW is there a handicap system for this comp cos maybe we stand some sort of chance then?

Flex asked me to never mention 'that' incident again, so lets just keep this between us!
Open hand, open mind...

Greg Hart

Postby Greg Hart » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:53 pm

I think you win this one Guy!
He woke up the next day still behind the wheel parked in the middle of the bushes! Nice one!

Greg Hart

Postby Greg Hart » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:57 pm

My one attempt to get to The Restaurant ended with the combi on its roof in the oncoming lane when a brake failed on a hairpin bend, but as we hadnt even left our suburb it hardly qualifies in the exciting road category

Rich

Postby Rich » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:59 pm

I had an unfortunate incident in Llanberis pass a few weeks ago. My car boot got blown over and smashed into my roof when a strong gust of wind caused the struts to snap. The insurance company wrote it off and payed me out a measly sum, but she still goes alright. She'll be picking Flex up from Manchester airport this evening. Not sure if I'll let him drive my car after MarkM's comment.

Social Media

Return to “South Africa Climbing News”