Hexes

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

gollum

Hexes

Postby gollum » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:58 pm

A few questions:

1. If you have enough cams, are hexes still useful?
2. Which stem type is better - cable or sling?
3. Which make do you prefer (BD Hexcentrics, WC Rockcentrics, DMM Torque Nuts, etc) ?

Just for the record, my opinion is that they are very useful and compliment cams (I've used BD hexes on wire, and found placements where they were bomber but a cam would not fit). And from what I've read I believe slung hexes are better than wired hexes (it seems the only drawbacks of slung hexes are that you can only place them in placements that are within reach, and they tangle on your rack easier than wired hexes).

I've got a set of BD Stoppers #4 - #13, BD Camalots #.5 - #3, and I'm now looking to add the WC Rockcentrics sizes #5 - #8 to my rack. So I'd like some advice here.

Cheers
gollum
"I have no more friends, and my nuts are too small!"

Heinrich

Re: Hexes

Postby Heinrich » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:28 pm

Well, you sort of answered you own question. Depending on who you ask though, you'll get mixed report. Tristan HATES them and refuses to be seen in public with those who use it.

I have a set of WC Rockcentrics 6-9. I have yet to find a venue where they are not useful - I've used them on sandstone, quartzite, limestone, conglomerate and granite and I'm telling you they go in places where cams really struggle to stay put. Furthermore, they don't walk. When you got one of those babies in the rock you know you're safe and it's all pink cotton fluffy clouds and cotton candy.

However, if I were you, I'd go for size 6-9 in stead of 5-8. size 5 is as big as a big nut, and pretty much a nuisance. Hexes come to their fullest potential on the big sizes.

Oh yes, get hexes on slings. Wired hexes defeat the purpose of being easy to place in diverse and awkward features.

It's worth it, big time.

BradCT

Postby BradCT » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Heinrich wrote:you know you're safe and it's all pink cotton fluffy clouds and cotton candy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Couldn't have said it better. Love my hexes. Got a fair share of cam, but if I can place that hex... no further questions asked.

Heinrich wrote:I'd go for size 6-9
Heinrich wrote:get hexes on slings. Wired hexes defeat the purpose of being easy to place in diverse and awkward features.

Like I said... couldn't have said it better.
Hey at the end of the day, if you can afford it, the more toys the more fun! :thumright

shorti

Postby shorti » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:54 am

<old and wise voice> Hexes... hmmf hmmf - yes, they are precious to me

gollum

Postby gollum » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 am

lol! OK Rockcentrics 6 - 9 it is then. Does anyone have an opinion on DMM Torque Nuts?
"I have no more friends, and my nuts are too small!"

Heinrich

Postby Heinrich » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:28 pm

Don't bother,

rockcentrics are the way to go.

shorti

Postby shorti » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:29 am

gollum wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on DMM Torque Nuts?
Heinrich wrote:Don't bother,
Why not? They look pretty descent and interesting to me. I'd love to see how they work... or at least hear from someone who've used it.

mokganjetsi

Postby mokganjetsi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:54 am

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2112

looks almost exactly like hexentrics with a simple design upgrade (optimisation of the side angles to increase effective camming range).
for the same price i'd go for torque nuts.....

Marshall1

Postby Marshall1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Hexes just make such an irritating noise. Plastic jobs are lighter & quiet.
Plastic Hexes.jpg
Plastic Hexes.jpg (30.75 KiB) Viewed 633 times

Return to “Gear Questions & Reviews”