Losing Wonderland's wonderful views?

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
Gustav

Losing Wonderland's wonderful views?

Post by Gustav » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:44 pm

Ever climbed at the Wonderland crags around Waterval Boven?

Go to http://www.watervalboven.com/rocky_drift.html ASAP to get an idea of what is happening around us - the way to go is to register as an Interested or Affected Party (IAP) to stay in touch with developments.
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
+27 13 120 4600
climb @t rocrope dot com

emile

Re: Losing Wonderland's wonderful views?

Post by emile » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:02 pm

Thanks for the info Gustav, I too am
strongly opposed to the reintroduction of the outflows from the proposed sewage system back into the Joubert Spruit
:evil:

Gustav

Post by Gustav » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:21 am

Thanks for those who have already responded with their views & comments, http://www.watervalboven.com/rocky_drift.html has been updated.
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
+27 13 120 4600
climb @t rocrope dot com

andrew p

Post by andrew p » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:32 am

This would be tragic. Every climber who has ever visted Boven should understand the loss that this development will bring to the beauty and unspoilt flora/fauna of the area. That valley is almost pristine, for it to host a fenced off holiday complex would be a great shame. Please all, come together and send in your IAP forms.

rocklooney

Post by rocklooney » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:48 am

I agree 110%. Go to the website, download the form, give it the thumbs down, and send it off. NOW!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:55 am

Hey All for those who did register as IAPs there is a meeting coming up.
MCSA-JHB section recieved this via Gustav.
Hi

According to my records you have expressed interest in and or registered yourself as a Interested and Affected Party with regards to the proposed development of Rocky Drift Nature Reserve situated in Waterval Onder.

I have recently received formal notification form CAZ Dry Attorneys indicating that a Tribunal hearing will be held on the 24th of August 2010 at 10:00 at the Malaga Hotel and that there will be a pre-hearing conference on the 21st of July 2010 at 10:00 at 1st Floor 18 Jones Street Nelspruit.

These are both important meetings for all Interested & Affected Parties.

If you have not received your notification, and you regard yourself as an Interested & Affected Party, please make contact with Caz Dry Attorneys at 013 751 1108 or email mari@cazdryattorneys.co.za and demand an explanation as to why not.

IAP’s have 21 days from 27 May 2010 to submit comments, objections or representations to the Designated officer Ms Refilwe Motaung, Private Bag X 11219, Nelspruit 1200 and if you have any queries you may contact her on 082 788 2395 and fax 013 766 8247.

If your comments are in support of the application or do not mount to an objection, you do not need to attend the tribunal hearing.

If your comments constitute an objection to any aspect of the proposed development, you or your representative MUST appear in person before the tribunal on 21 July 2010 in Nelspruit.

A group of IAPs are in the process of drafting a comment for submission by the due date. If you are interested, a copy of the draft can be sent to you and you may indicate your support thereof by endorsement.

This is an important opportunity to have your say regarding the proposed development. Please don’t miss it.

If you need any assistance in this regards, or if you know of an IAP not an addressee of this message, please feel free to forward it to them and copy me so that I can add them to my list.

Kind Regards

Ivan Stouffs

Bergwaters Eco Lodge & Spa
Tel: 013 257 7081/59
Fax: 086 689 0676
Cell: Chantel: 082 805 6099
Ivan : 082 804 1527
Web: http://www.bergwaters.co.za
Open hand, open mind...

Gustav

Post by Gustav » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Well, it looks like we are fighting a losing battle.

We attended the pre-hearing today and the objections (in my opion) are not looking very strong. Here is how you can help me:

Drop me an e-mail [climb@rocrope.com] and give us you personal accounts of enjoying the prestine views, seeing black eagles overhead or hearing the gentle flows of the Joubertspruit below with the occasional cry of a fish eagle.

Or do you feel there are still hundreds of world-class climbing areas in SA overlooking natural beauty as we have it below the Wonderland crags?

Every little sentance you write may help to swing it - also invite your international climbing contacts to drop a line, that will certainly carry extra weight.

Thanks for your time...
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
+27 13 120 4600
climb @t rocrope dot com

Gustav

Post by Gustav » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:53 am

Thanks for all the letters so far!

Keep it coming...
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
+27 13 120 4600
climb @t rocrope dot com

Gustav

Post by Gustav » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:31 am

Today is the last opportunity you have to give your opinion on this proposed development - http://www.watervalboven.com/rocky_drift.html

Perhaps it is not clear to all, but if they do get the go ahead, they will be able to construct lodges and houses etc. to house up to 400 people (on max capacity) in this little valley!

Bye-bye peace & quiet?
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
+27 13 120 4600
climb @t rocrope dot com