Quantcast
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Bedford Climbing
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:51 pm 

Hey guys do you know of any route guides or climbing spots near or in Bedford in the Eastern Cape?

Post subject: Re: Bedford Climbing
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:36 am 

I don't know of anything close to Bedford but there's sport at Fort Fordyce close to Fort Beaufort which is in turn not too far from Bedford (about 30min?). Also bouldering in Alicedale but that's a fair drive again. Check out the topo for Fort Fordyce on the Wiki.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:46 pm 

Mary is about an hour and a half away. Awesome trad and some bolted routes. Make sure you get the latest access arrangements. From Bedford drive up the Baviaans River road toward Tarkastad. Its not the greatest road but is very scenic.
Compassberg is near Nieu Bethesda which is also an hour and a half away. Big, multipitch tradding.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:55 pm 

Yeah i know fordyce my favorite place! Was just wondering if there was something close im sure ill find some boulders around there,that or some trouble i can get into! :alien:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:09 pm 

If you go up the Baviaansriver road (mentioned by Hector) you will come across traddable rock close to the road within the first 10ks. Right up to the 30k mark there is tons of rock (mainly on the right). Several of these spots have been climbed on (by myself and others). None of it recorded and all of it on trad. Excellent bouldering on a stepped waterfall on the left about 30ks out when dry (which is 99% of the time).

60ks towards Grahamstown and off on the second Riebeck-East road is the funky but no less excellent sport crag known as Thornkloof (with 25 routes). Plus there are the crags and bouldering areas of Grahamstown (not including Alicedale).

Just 15 mins away there are tons of crags between Cookhouse and Somerset East, mostly unclimbed (but some of which have been sampled on trad)

Mary is sadly closed to public access (unless you go with one of the 3 priveleged individuals who have special access rights). But that's 100ks of dirt road away anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:43 pm 

Thanks Mr James hope to be coming your way next week maybe well do some bouldering!