TM Tragedy

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to

TM Tragedy

Postby GBM » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:41 pm

We were climbing on Lions Head yesterday evening when this accident on TM took place; the reports are rather poorly drafted and I was wondering whether a climbing literate person could explain the situation a bit more comprehensively and accurately then this extract below:

"He said the two hikers had been walking a short trail when one apparently pulled a rock loose. It is believed part of the ground gave way and both hikers fell several metres. October said police were at the scene, and an inquest docket had been opened. “From the information we have received we believe one of them had been moving rocks when they both slipped and fell. The survivor received trauma counselling soon after.”

I understand that the person who passed was a well known and respected climber & mountaineer, the report above really does not make much sense particularly since I understand the incident happened on Platteklip.

Does anyone have a more accurate explanation or details?

Condolences to the family and friends.

Social Media

Return to “South Africa Climbing News”