Where to start in Joburg - new mom wanting to climb again

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
hvgill

Where to start in Joburg - new mom wanting to climb again

Postby hvgill » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Hi -

I just moved to Joburg a couple weeks ago with my husband and baby from New York and want to start climbing again (I used to climb regularly many moons ago).

Ideally I'd like to have somewhere to start practicing again/bouldering and meet other folks to climb with (I don't have any gear other than my shoes + chalk bag). Also, since we have a young baby, it would be great to find other folks with young families or young moms who are climbing.

Any ideas on the best place to start?

Thanks

hemal

072 700 0410

Baldrick

Re: Where to start in Joburg - new mom wanting to climb again

Postby Baldrick » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:19 am

Hi Hemal, a good place to start again is to visit Wonderwall gym in Kyasands. www.wonderwall.co.za

We normally meet there on Wed or Thur evenings for some training and genrally go out to the real rock on weekends, you are welcome to join.
Drop me a pm if you are interested.
cheers Nigel

desertbob

Postby desertbob » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:28 am

There's also the Bouldering League happening in Joburg at st Peter's Prep on Witkoppen Rd if you're into bouldering.
Check out http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=258769207513&ref=mf

myself

Postby myself » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 pm

actually, st peter's is great for training even when the bouldering league is not on. chat to neil margetts about a membership

hvgill

Postby hvgill » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:10 am

Thanks for all the great tips! We have some great places to start - can't wait to get on rock again!

Spoke to Neil at the Cage and he thought it might be interesting to create a Mom/Dads Climbing Group (especially if there are some of you who like me have a little one who is years away from getting on rock) - in case there are other new parents out there who would like to get out and about & share the load. If you are interested, let me know.

hvgill@gmail.com

burgman

Re: Where to start in Joburg - new mom wanting to climb agai

Postby burgman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:45 pm

:-|

Social Media

Return to “Beginners Corner”