Stainless vs Galvanized

Ask. Answer. Discuss. Any bolting related issues.
Hloni

Stainless vs Galvanized

Postby Hloni » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:43 pm

I am putting up a climbing wall, similar to the one attached, and wondered whether to go stainless or galvanized t-nuts and bolts. Any suggestions?
Attachments
Wall.jpg
Exposed to some elements
Wall.jpg (148.01 KiB) Viewed 1371 times

Stu

Re: Stainless vs Galvanized

Postby Stu » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:35 pm

If you can afford them, go with stainless.
I climbed on a wall that was situated outside, and eventually the T-nuts start to rust and break resulting in a number of 'spinning grips'.

Hloni

Postby Hloni » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Cool for that Stu, I guess then what is next on my menu is to go price the two of them, see how far my budget will go, then make an informed decision. :afro:

XMod

Postby XMod » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:41 pm

Just a thought - whats the point of the roof on top? Its cute but surely serves absolutely no purpose?
It depends where you are situated, if inland you may be ok with plated screws, if near the coast screw the panels
on with stainless steel chipboard screws and use the best quality t-nuts you can find (worth doing anyway as they last much longer).
Cap screws are available in a zinc plated version which is relatively corrosion resistant and way cheaper than stainless.
I dont think they make t-nuts in stainless? Just buy a good make. One other option is to cover the back of the t-nuts and cap screws
with tectal anti rust treatment (used underneath cars) once the grips are installed.

Return to “Bolting Questions & Guidelines”