Meiringspoort

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
DBez

Meiringspoort

Postby DBez » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:00 pm

Do anyone know about climbing or access issues in this area of the Swartberg (close to Oudtshoorn) ?

Derek Marshall

Postby Derek Marshall » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:23 pm

The ranger in Dec 2003 was totaly keen to have his area utilized. That includes Meirings Poort & Sewerweeks. Not sure if he is still around. Will find out.

morne

camping at meiringspoort

Postby morne » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:34 am

:D There are camping facilities at Meiringspoort and costs are reasonable.
Soooooooooo keen to go back asap!!!!!

alan

Postby alan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:15 pm

iv driven thru meiringspoort and got some serious belayers cramp looking at the walls, theres a pull of stop from where a short walk goes to a lekker rock pool, the walls are very steep so maybe bolted lines... the rock looks very broken so finding nice solid trad might be a problem. check out mcsa journals in sure iv seen some info in there...

ever tried in the swartberg pass... we climbed some stuf there a while ago where the road drops into the kloof on the prince albert side, think 300m cliff 5mins walk from the car...

Hector

Postby Hector » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:18 pm

Ya, Swartberg pass is really awesome. I'm not sure what the story is with access tho. We just camped by the side of the road. There are a few routes in old MCSA journals for the area, but the best is just to make up your own routes. The good lines are pretty obvious. That 300 m climb Al mentioned was 6 x 60 m pitches of 18 - all of high quality. There are tons of shorter routes too (1 to 3 pitches). And theres also definately some harder stuff - lots of overhanging cracks.

Chalk

Re:

Postby Chalk » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:30 pm

I downloaded a pdf route guide for the swartberg pass area ages ago. happy to send a copy to any interested party - looks like a 5 star area!

gnomki

Postby gnomki » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:09 am

Broken rock? More solid than my in-laws Polenez FSO!
I have bouldered in Meeirsport several trips. The quality is superb.
You SA \"guys\" do not know how lucky you are :wink:
Beautiful Country........
Any one wish to climb the 300m with me come early March 2006?

Hey Chalk

Postby Hey Chalk » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:13 pm

Please mail me that RD: hlp@wspgroup.co.za. Thanks

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”