Overnight Mountain hike near cape town

ShaolinWood

Overnight Mountain hike near cape town

Post by ShaolinWood » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Howsit,

A bit off climbing, but I'm looking for a spot around cape town (not further than 2 hrs drive) that we can do an overnight hike and sleep in the mountains (will carry tent with).
We're looking for a pretty challenging peak to climb (ok climb = walk and scramble) and somewhere that's not crowded.
I was aiming for Cederberg Wilderness but that might be a bit far out since we only have a Saturday and a Sunday.

I've found a couple of trails on the web, and in my old guide books but to be honest I'm really looking for a place that you can navigate and find your own trail, and no overnight-cabins... so ideally just a relaxed place where we can do some traditional scouting and hiking... hope it makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any help
Kind regards
Cheers
Gerhard

Russell Warren

Re: Overnight Mountain hike near cape town

Post by Russell Warren » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Cederberg is not a bad option for a weekend contrary to your statement. You have the lesser climbed peaks of Sneeukop (not likely to have company there) and Krakadou ( may bump into a few rock climbers here) range, but there are definitely paths there. Are you an MCSA member? If so there are the Steenbokberg (Baileys Peak is a nice stroll)and Hex river properties (You could climb Fonteintjies berg and Brandwag peak in one weekend rather comfortably) that are effectively 100% trail free as you want it to be. There is the Krom river hut with many mountains around it that will keep you busy as long as you choose to be.

ShaolinWood

Post by ShaolinWood » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi Russel, thanks for the reply. That helps a lot.
OK Cederberg is still very high on my list, maybe we'll just drive off REALLY early hehe.

I'm still new to Cape town, and haven't joined the MCSA. Really want to though, that will open up many new possibilities...
I'll look into the spots you mentioned. Are they in the northern part? (closer to Pakhuys)?

thanks, really appreciate it
Cheers
Gerhard

Russell Warren

Post by Russell Warren » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:01 am

Sneeukop can be accessed fairly easily from Welbedacht which is one of the turnoffs off the road from Algeria to Sandrif (you take the Drie Hoek turnoff). Krakadou is quite a mission as you have to go over the Pakhuys pass to Heuningsvlei. I have another easier option for you: Drive to Eikeboom which is just after the Driehoek turn off. If you leave Cape Town by 6 you can be hiking by 9. Walk up the jeeptrack till you get to the very basic Sneeuberg (not to be confused with Sneeukop) hut and leave your overnight gear there then climb Sneeuberg. If you go anticlockwise up Sneeuberg you are 100% path free. If you go up from the Maltese cross side you can follow a path to the top. Sneeuberg has a nice little scramble at the summit. I am leading a MCSA meet there on the weekend of the 19-21 June. An added bonus is that Sneeuberg is the highest peak in the Cederberg. I can assure you it is very accessable for a weekend from Cape Town. I have done it several times.

ShaolinWood

Post by ShaolinWood » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:40 am

Hi Russel, Sweet that sounds awesome. I'm having a look on Google Earth haha.
Really appreciate your info, thanks a lot!
And who will I need to speak to regarding access, vehicle parking and fees and stuff? (I assume we'll need to pay someone)

I'm also making a mission to join the MCSA, got in contact with the Tygerberg section yesterday and will try and meet up with them.
We're planning to go there in August, so still a while off but have to get everything in place.

Thanks again for the help!!
Cheers
Gerhard

Russell Warren

Post by Russell Warren » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:37 pm

Cape Nature are the custodians of that part of the world and can be contacted on (021) 659 3500. Sneeuberg falls under area C. Overnight fees are R60 and consevation fees R35, but if you have a wildcard the conservation fees are covered. You would normally just park under the Oak trees. If you need anymore information send me a P-mail or e-mail me on russellW(at)johnthompson(dot)co(dot)za.

ShaolinWood

Post by ShaolinWood » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:54 pm

Cool bananas thanks Russel! Really appreciate all your help
Cheers
Gerhard