Bring it Back!!

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

Justin

Bring it Back!!

Postby Justin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:42 pm

This is a thread for anyone to post gear that they would like to see in circulation again:

To start, I would love to be able to get my hands on another Granite rope bag (locally produced by the way) . These bags were made with the best possible materials and the stitching (has) never come undone (probably because it was done with Alec's industrial sewing machine !?)

and

The Petzl Jump harness, by far the most comfortable harness I have ever worn!
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Marshall1

Re: Bring it Back!!

Postby Marshall1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:54 pm

The origional Gordans All Terrain sandles. Localy made.

Outdoor Products had a "record bag", (as in LP). These are the bomb for bolting bags. Also localy made.

micky

Postby micky » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:55 pm

Mammut ropes they last longer than 2 months like everything else available in SA. My last one lasted 2 years and was still going strong before it got nicked.

5.10 shoes ... a regular supply would be good so i dont have to ask my buddies to bring em down from overseas

boar hair brushes

sanuk crag shoe things ... i think they look cool

rope soap

arcteryx

rocklooney

Postby rocklooney » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:03 am

Bring back the Tre. The best of all worlds in a belay device.

Justin

Postby Justin » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:17 am

Check out the Zapo-O-Mat its basically the same thing.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

SNORT

Postby SNORT » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:57 am

Agree with the Tre. I bought the last 2.

I have yet to successfully wear out the premium Blue Water ropes. The Mantel has a very tight or close weave that defies wear. Edelrid ropes also have a tight weave and intuitively seem very good and climbed with them in the '80's.

We put Mammut ropes on sale at CityROCK for months and not one sold. Until the arrival of Bluewater ropes I always used Mammut and still have 2 trad ropes and one short piece of Mammut sport rope that I use at CityROCK. Indeed they are excellent ropes and who knows why they did not sell because BW and Edelrid are just as costly

Tristan

Postby Tristan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:00 am

@ Rocklooney...
The Zap-O-Mat is a single rope belay device based on the Tre. Interestingly Edelrid added a tension spring adjustment which effectively slows down the speed at which the device "locks" as the leader falls. The concept is 2-fold: the impact force on all the affected gear is greatly reduced.
Then the other big advantage - if your belayer is significantly lighter than you, with the "slower catch", they are less likely to be yanked off their feet and pulled thru the 1st draw.
I have a demo kicking around my bag...PM me (or email me) if you'd like to try it out. I can also suggest where you might acquire one (dependant on where u stay)
Cheers
Tristan
Last edited by Tristan on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

stuboy

Postby stuboy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:08 am

What is wrong with the Blue Water ropes? I was hoping they would match up to Mammut. I know they are expensive, but Mammut are too. I have a lot of people asking about what rope to buy and up until now I battle to recommend anything other that Mammut, but there are non. The main topic seems to be the wearing of the rope, Mammut does come out tops but I thought Edilrid and Blue Water wouldn't be far off. Does the market really need Mammut????

fridge

Postby fridge » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:15 am

Mamut ropes

miura vs

scarpa

boreal zen

metolius cams

tre

Nic Le Maitre

Postby Nic Le Maitre » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:19 am

Justin wrote:To start, I would love to be able to get my hands on another Granite rope bag (locally produced by the way) . These bags were made with the best possible materials and the stitching (has) never come undone (probably because it was done with Alec's industrial sewing machine !?)

Alec still makes them, you just need to get a few people together to make an order. Dion Tromp also makes very similar ones that perform brilliantly.
Happy climbing
Nic

XMod

Postby XMod » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:31 pm

Do we need Mammut ropes? Hell yeah! I love mine, very very happy with it. I want another soon, J&R?

DBez

Bring it Back!!

Postby DBez » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Boreal - the brand with all or most of the shoes available 8) Super Cool!
The availability of different climbing shoes...in a size 12. :D

Return to “Gear Questions & Reviews”