Routes on Hangklip

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
bernoulli

Routes on Hangklip

Postby bernoulli » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:50 am

Can anyone please give me info of possible routes on Hangklip buttress? How many pitches? Quality of the rock?
It looks good from the ground...

Derek Marshall

Postby Derek Marshall » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:17 am

I have some discriptions for Hangklip Queenstown...but can think of 2 other Hangklip climbing venues.

Postby » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:29 am

If it's the one near Betty's Bay, look in the Journals. There are a few description that I've seen...

bernoulli

Postby bernoulli » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:27 am

Yes it's the Hangklip near Betty's Bay. Any idea in which year's journals I can find it. It would make the search less tedious. Thanx.

carl

Postby carl » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:03 pm

Just watch out, i think there are some access issues there. Be careful not to screw it up. Remember that a route description and a permit/permission to climb are not the same thing.

bernoulli

Postby bernoulli » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:30 pm

Good point about the access Carl. I will be sure to get the appropriate permits and permission before I head off.

Hector

Postby Hector » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:57 pm

Derrek, what are the routes like at Hangklip near Queenstown? Is it anything like Mary. Access? Walk-in? Grades? Quality? etc

Derek Marshall

Postby Derek Marshall » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:47 am

Hector - I haven't even made it there yet. Queenstown and surounds has the potential to be the climbing Mecca of the world. There are just too many awesome dolorite crags. From below Hanklip looks great. Ascess is saposed to be much freer. The discriptions I have are Andrew Forsyth's from the big SA climbers club meet in 1984. Walkin the same at least as Mary.

Hanklip is less known than Mary because of The Legend & because there are no bolted lines.

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”