Oudtshoorn updates?

New Areas. New routes. Retrobolting. Add-ons. Re-grading. etc.
XMod

Oudtshoorn updates?

Postby XMod » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:53 am

Does anyone have info on the latest developments at Oudtshoorn? Jimbo's proj, the new cave developed recently (photos shown on this site), extensions at the Main Wall etc?

Have searched the forums but all old posts seem to have been archived or removed.

PaulB

Re: Oudtshoorn updates?

Postby PaulB » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:35 pm

I don't know but it's rad that there's a new project there! Be great one to watch 'cos you can walk up behind it. Nice :)

micky

Postby micky » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:29 am

Hey,

Jimbo has bolted 2 new projects in the Short Circuit Cave, both of them not open yet but by the look of them both brick hard, and probably the hardest routes there. He also bolted a really awesome 30m 26/27 right of the main wall up a short scramble to the left of the bushman cave. The route is very different to normal Oudtshoorn climbing, its continiously overhanging with boven like flat edges and crimps and huge flaky jugs and side pulls. I thought it was one of the raddest lines in Oudts for sure at the grade...

Crouching-Cricket

Postby Crouching-Cricket » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:35 am

Hey guys, while we're on the topic of routes, can anyone tell me the names and grades of the three routes in the smaller cave lower and to the right of the main short circuit cave and also the really easy route farthest right. Thanks.

micky

Postby micky » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:54 am

jtf has bolted an extension to phallic mechanic, which as far as i know is not yet open, but might go at around 27. Jimbo's new route at the bushman cave is called 'skinny legs and all' there's a line which should probably be bolted which branches left of this route. It looks harder than skinny legs but the wall is pretty deceptive and seems to hide jugs pretty well so who knows.

Does anyone know what the access details are regarding the walls on hill up right before you get to main wall. There seems to be potential for a some hard short routes up there...

Crouching-Cricket

Postby Crouching-Cricket » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:53 pm

That wall does look good hey but from what I've heard speaking to some guys down here the owner's not to keen on giving access to it. Remains to be seen I guess.

Wynand

Postby Wynand » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:34 pm

Whilst we are on the topic. what is the clibm called next to the cave on the lower right hand side of short circuit next to a 24 it use to be an project of M Renz but has been completed. and also on the main wall on the righthand side of goochie goo is a newly bolted line what is the grade and name of that reallyl need to know so someone must know. cheers

jimbo

Postby jimbo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:52 am

Hey guys. Yeah as Micky said, in December 2008 I bolted a project immediately to the right of Short circuit - probably quite hard but it should go.
I also bolted a really cool line called 'skinny legs' 26/27ish (opened). To get to it from the main wall follow the path (opposite direction from the campsite) for about 80 meters to the bushmans cave (deep cave hidden by bushed) then scramble up onto the rock plateau to the left of the cave.

While we are on the topic I also bolted and opened a 27 at the vission crag ('Lady of Lourdes' - 4th route from left) and a 25/26 at hilti crag('Drill Thrill' -right hand most route) in Montagu.

I will try and add this info to the wiki.

cheers, Jimbo

Crouching-Cricket

Postby Crouching-Cricket » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:48 am

Hey Guys,

Sorry to harp on about it but I really am curious. The Wiki's route guide for oudtshoorn's short circuit sector only has 5 climbs listed but I counted about 12. There's the 5 listed routes in the main (big) cave and then there are 4 more routes in the smaller cave lower and to the right of the main cave.

The first one is short and finishes on chains just above the lip (+- earlly 20's). The second and third routes finish on the same chains (also just above the lip and early 20's) and the fourth route (most right at the entrance to the small cave) uses the start of the third route and then extends quite high up to different chains.

Further right of th small cave are two routes on some flat grey rock (they're pretty vertical) and then even more right, hidden just around the corner, is a very easy route 16 / 17 on some very sharp cut-away black rock.

Could anyone please help me with the names / grades so that I can add them to my log.

Thanks, Matthew

Marshall1

Postby Marshall1 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:07 am

I have some of the new stuff on an e mail able PDF. There are 2 or 3 projects that I'm not sure about.

Has anybody tried to up load PDFs onto the wiki lately. Am I missing some thing?

toprope

Postby toprope » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:25 am

Hi Marshall,

The current upload settings for the wiki are:
Maximum file size: 20 MB
Permitted file types: png, gif, jpg, jpeg.

I haven't enabled pdf uploads in to the wiki for the moment - b/c it becomes I don't want to make the downloads unnecessarily huge. Can I ask you to please send me the pdf via email & I will either put it into the pdf directory with all the others or I'll transpose the info into the wiki format where it is then easily updated by all.

Cheers,
Riki

camclimbing

Postby camclimbing » Mon May 04, 2009 8:21 am

howzit every1.
there is a number of new routes in and around behr hug!
does any1 know names and grades.

there is a route that goes up between behr hug and brother bear (joining behr hug at the 3rd or 4th bolt)

to the right of behr hug, a route that moves round the corner and up right into the large crack

and the further right again, the vertical route that starts in the large crack and then moves up the face

cheers

lelikegogga

Postby lelikegogga » Mon May 04, 2009 10:13 am

Hi
The large diagonal crack to the right of behr hug is also a route, opened on trad. If not before, then in April 2008 (grade 20/21). Dubbed it 'Snow Blind'.

Marshall1

Postby Marshall1 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Please send me a mail: marshall (at) qsafrica.co.za I have this info on PDF.

Social Media

Return to “Area Updates & New Routes”