Muizenberg rockfall.

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to

Muizenberg rockfall.

Postby Richard » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:46 pm

This is possibly related to the "case for wearing helmets" thread ...
Today (Thurs 13th) at about 5:30 pm, a major rockfall occurred on Muizenberg Crag. A huge block/pillar/detached slab thing, directly above the face of Blind Man's Buff, obviously loosened by the winter rains, and pushed over the edge by the past few days deluge and gales, detached!
Serious rock scarring occurred on the BMB face, and there's a huge area of shattered debris at the foot of the rock. Large boulders bounded down the slope, stopping just before the road.
I reckon all routes from Understairs to beyond Gollum's Prize are going to be quite hazardous for quite some time.
This was a large piece of the mountain!
I had driven past about 5 minutes before it happened, but my wife heard, and saw, it from our house near Marina Da Gama.

Re: Muizenberg rockfall.

Postby Brent » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:10 am

I don't think my dome is rated quite that severely...

Scary. I was climbing in that area on the weekend. It's clear not many people go to that side of the buttress, as the path was almost non-existent and bushes had taken over.
I would also suggest giving it time to stabilise before poking around again.

Re: Muizenberg rockfall.

Postby maximus » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:03 am

Drove past there this week. Here's a pic of the scar and debris below!!!
image0003.jpg (165.29 KiB) Viewed 648 times

Social Media

Return to “South Africa Climbing News”