Quantcast
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Last of the Mohicans FA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:23 am 

Steve Bretherick gets the first ascent of 'Last of the Mohicans' (30), Wigwam.
Photo by Ian Ash

Attachments:
Steve-crimping-on-LOTM.jpg
Steve-crimping-on-LOTM.jpg [ 190.4 KiB | Viewed 1871 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:07 am 

Awesome! Well done!

Nice photo as well. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:16 pm 

Yeah, well done Steve! Now, who's going to grab the next 2 first ascents there? And who's going to bolt some more even harder lines?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:40 am 

Awesome send and no push over at 30. Also its an excellent pic - an excellent pic of a NEW route that is at a high level at a new crag. A pic that required effort from photographer and climber, its inspiring...its should be on the home page. Instead we get the same arb photos, generally bum shots of arb climbs always by the same lady, does she have some sort of contract with this website. I dont like complaining but enoughs enough, pics definatley got lamer over last couple months.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:10 am 

Hi All

Ok... reason that the pic in question did not go on the home page is because when I received the photo, I had just posted a new pic up. Then (as mentioned) the pic is an awesome one and best viewed 'large' (which is why I put it in the forum)
There are a few other pics that will be best viewed in the forum e.g. landscape pics. I also created a 'Pictures' section in the forum that anyone can add photos to.

The lady you refer to, sends ClimbZA many photos and for this we are very grateful (we're grateful to everyone who has sent in pics and contributed). I do my best to change the home page pic daily with interesting and different pictures - if you don't like the picture of the day, worst case is it will be there for max 30 hours or so - alternatively send us the pics you want to see on the home page.

It would be great if everyone went up a rope and took photos from above (preferably new routes ;) - however that doesn't always happen).

While we're on the subject... if something new happens, please send us the low down (preferably with a pic) or post it in the forum :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:56 pm 

I've said it before but i still think the homepage should have a big cool pic on it! it should be the main feature of the page, and should be able to handle wide or straight up shots. I have no idea how hard this is to do, but thats what i would push for. Also a ban on bum shots...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:33 pm 

aint there already a 'last of the mohicans' around?

peers cave to be xact...

now, is that plagerism or what do we call that? a name-jack?

jus onederin'...

8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:40 pm 

At peer's cave? really? PC is my old stomping ground, so it's either an insignificant route, or it's been recently added, or I'm getting old an decrepid. (The latter according to the nubile 2nd-year's at varsity :-)

Wig Wam has an American Indian theme - so it fits quite nicely. Next up is the axe-wound project...

There are many names that seem to pop up all over the place. There is more than one roulette in SA, let alone the world, more than one Jacob's ladder, Stairway to Heaven etc etc - I guess there's a common set of emotions / fantasies / random thoughts that pop into people's heads when you're opening a route.

It nearly got called Last of the Stevovos...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:12 am 

I named the project Last of the Mohicans before I was aware that there was a route at Peers Cave with the same name. As I have also explained to other people previously, I don't think this is a problem as my route refers to different Mohicans. Nuff Said.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:46 am 

Haha, here's what happened to me a while back. I opened the project left of glass menagarie and thought I had a stroke of brilliance in thinking of the name, 'Shattering reflections of narcism'. Until Sean pointed out there was already a route by that name in Oz. Most embarrasing! I probably read about it at some point, forgot, and had it sitting there waiting in my subconscious. So I named it something awful. Oh well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:11 pm 

:lol:

brilliant, flex...

the more reason then to call it ' the OTHER mohicans'...

will laugh every time i visit it, promise...

@ant: insignificant? no, bru. can't call a great 28 that... only reason it gets 2 stars is bcause of the usual pc height problem. its short, but consistently hard all the way. if you like face, that is...

on another note, there seems to me to be allot of under-rated (star-wise) routes all over the place... stuff gets 2/3 stars and many times it feels like a great route to climb, many times i can't see why a route can't get more... just wunderin'...

peash

8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:02 pm 

@ micky:

are you talking about something like the planetmountain homepage? You go to the website and then the picture comes up first before you actually "enter" the site

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:40 pm 

Brolloks, I definitely think one should come up with original names for routes but since I came up with the name completely independently I did not feel obliged to come up with another one. If this disappoints you, then you're just going to have to deal with it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:27 pm 

I think Last of the Mohicans is a rad name

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:11 am 

its an even cooler route. Wigwam really is ace, potential to bethe hardest cliff around, there's a bunch more amazing routes of 31 and upwards to go. The sport climbing in the north is really amazing these days, stacks of new lines at uber new cliffs, gotta love it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:49 pm 

Logic tells me the original route should have been called The 1st of the Mohicans. So flex is correct in closing the chapter on the use of the Mohican thread by calling his / Steves route The Last of the Mohicans.

Was that so difficult now ?

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:58 pm 

haha! sharp!

where is wigwam btw? and does it stand for anything?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:31 pm 

flex, relax those muscles, bru... i've been laughing for a while now, about all of this, and i'm dealing with the two mohicans thing, no worries...

my new route will be called 'laugh at the mohicans', since, as evidence is surfacing now, the mohicans have done it again... they have been fooling us all, made us believe they where the last, but in fact, they have been everywhere all along... hiding, conspiring, doing whatever mohicans do...or where they the first..?

ag, i don't know any more...
eish...

:?

8)