Rock and Road 08

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to

andrew p

Rock and Road 08

Postby andrew p » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Cool dudes for organising this one, guess its Dave who is masterminding? Willl be nice to participate this time. Really super that it has caught on, next year the capies will have to organise something (Stuart?) Where is that bouldering pic of by the way, looks amazing! Sandstone by the sea..hmm. 8a scoring is the way to go, just so long as everyone keeps the grades real! Andrew.

Postby Flex » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:32 pm

Month long trips to Thailand don't hurt the 8a scoring either hey Andy?

andrew p

Postby andrew p » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:06 pm

Yes I am a lucky man, guess life just worked out. Thats all part of climbing though, setting yourself up to be able to spend weeks at the crags. Anyway, if you do get your life on track, go to Thailand sometime, great routes, bit polished. Not soft, in fact I'd say our grades are just a bit softer. Took a lot more than 3 goes to get 7c+ over there.

Postby Flex » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:45 pm

I'm trying to set myself up Andy... October to December is when I see it all happening. Now all I need is a belay bunny!

Postby JuzH » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:36 pm

Hey firstly well done to the guys organising the rock and road this year. it sounds amazing i would like to enter but have 2 complaints. the first is why do i have to register with some norwegian website that forces me to update all my ticks just so i can compare numbers with people around the world. and secondly if the comp is part bouldering then why are only sport climbing rankings taken into account? Otherwise im super psyched on the whole event.

Postby nosmo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:08 pm

Maybe a mission, but I'm sure you'll qualify ;)

andrew p

Postby andrew p » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:11 pm

I am not organising this one but I do think that the 8a system IS the best way to go. Whats so hard about logging a few routes on a website? Who cares if its scandanavian, it works. It is teh easiest way to ensure that the climbers who have performed in the last 12 months qualify. Non subjective, no favouritism, let the grades do the talking. Roll on rock and road 08. Juz you better start whipping that ass back into shape so you can woop us all.

Postby marijus » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:59 pm

yo juz!

if you're so opposed to the thing i'm sure the organisers won't mind if you just submit you're 10 best routes in the last 12 months on an email or something. then you don't have to \"compete\" against the entire world!!!

pity streetfighter wont count anymore hey? it would be rad if we could use our boulder scores, but i also think that the meat of the event will be route climbing and the DBC is a small part of the whole rock and road...

oh, and i think its a swedish website.

Postby JuzH » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:07 pm

Ya i hear you guys. It probably is the best way to judge. Its just such a luss getting pumped there days. Maybe the boulder scores could apply? And i love the norwegian's and swedish by the way.

Postby dannypinkas » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:22 pm

I also agree that the 8a score card is the most objective way to decide who should participate. Not too sure about the provinces, though. Why not take the top performing men and women, irrespective of where they are from.
It took us a while to get rid of guys like Flex (Happy Birthda, dude!!!) and Eric. You don't won't to encourage their return just because the competition is a little easier in Gauteng :D

Postby Flex » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:09 pm

Thanks for the birthday wishes Danny!
If the qualification for the comp goes according to the best in each province, I suggest moving to the Northern Cape for a couple of days before the comp. I don't think the competition is that tough over there.

Postby brolloks » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:31 pm

don't mind me guys... just wanted to know how it would feel like to sit amongst the greats... hehehe

maybe one day i'll climb 39's like you guys, then i'll have something to say...

meanwhile, keep on talking, don't mind me...
you have one mouth, two ears. listen more...

Postby DaveD » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:56 pm

You lot raise good points.

Unfortunately if you want to be part of the Petzl Rock n Road trip, you WILL have to register on 8a. (use what ever name you like) If I start taking special requests from one person, I may end up trying to keep track of a whole bunch of people's sends, and call me lazy but that is too much for me.

Even if you didn't register, by qualifying for the road trip you are telling the world that you climb harder than those who did not qualify.

The only aspect of the trip that involves bouldering will be the Durban Bouldering Comp. It is an event open to anybody as well, and not exclusively the road trip climbers. Bouldering scores WILL NOT count.

Get on your hardness and clip some clippy things.

Just to Clarify, the PROVINCIAL ALLOCATION IS JUST A GUIDELINE and the organisers will reserver the right to shuffle things around if necessary. The reason we are using a guideline is to get climbers from through out the country to mingle. Climbers who would not otherwise meet. This is high on the priority list of things to achieve. Choosing straight from the list may defeat this objective.

I apologise for our being strict, but when people get free stuff, we have to keep it straight down the line to be fair.

I look forward to the excitement, and if you don't qualify, you are still free to come and climb at the DBC7.
Feel the Qui

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Sounds good, cant wait to rip-it (score permiting)

Postby PaulB » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:04 am

Would be cool to enter but have nothing on my scorecard... Any clues on the the super final venue???

Social Media

Return to “South Africa Climbing News”