Kids climbing

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
gripit

Kids climbing

Postby gripit » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:29 pm

HI Guys

I have a friend that has a 9 year boy that want to learn to climb does anybody know of a place/club where he can learn to climb with kids his age?

he lives in JHB

does anybody know if Wonderwall does courses?

mcsay0uth

Re: Kids climbing

Postby mcsay0uth » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:06 pm

The MCSA jo'burg section has started weekly training sessions for youths (5-21 years). if you're still interested contact youth@jhb.mcsa.org.za

Gustav

Postby Gustav » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:34 pm

Get him out on rock quick before he gets too used to plastic, and bored! I took my son on a three pitch climb when he was 3. :oops: Well, it was a single pitch climb that we broke up into 3 little ones.

When you take kids out make sure that you have a sling for an improvised chest harness in case they flip over. And please use a frikken helmet. Black Diamond makes an awesome one for kids called the Tracer Kids: http://www.rocrope.com/mel.jpg
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

climbing4heaven

Postby climbing4heaven » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:17 pm

Hi Gripit,

My kids are 9 and 6 and sometimes goes climbing with me, whether it be at the gym or on rock. have your friend e-mail me at jeromy@prisonfellowship.co.za then we can arrange something.

Cheers :D

FrancoisD

Postby FrancoisD » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:41 pm

Youths of 21? MCSA or YMCA? Jeesh, you know how to make one feel old...

Kids climbing - basically anywhere. Took a friend's 4 or 5 year old climbing last weekend; walks up to a 19 and asks where he should start.

Big heart but short arms. Did well enough on a 12 though.

Grades don't mean much to them provided they can reach anything that resembles a hold. Petzl makes a nifty kiddies harness.

gripit

Postby gripit » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:54 am

thank you all for the feed back but my friend has moved to the UK
i am quite glad to see and hear that there is a lot being done to continue climbing in SA

Social Media

Return to “Beginners Corner”