New route at Oudtshoorn

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
scottnoy

New route at Oudtshoorn

Postby scottnoy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:50 pm

I was under the impression that this cave was off limits to climbing due to it's cultural heritage?

MargheritaIntrona

Postby MargheritaIntrona » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:07 pm

See the thread Bolting in Oudtshoorn: http://www.climb.co.za/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2984

scottnoy

Postby scottnoy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:29 pm

A climbing forum discusion does not give anyone permission to bolt on private land, I just hope they asked the appropriate authorities.

I think? the cave is called Osgat, the Adventure Company (in the house) takes people out there because of it's importance, not sure why? They (and the tourists) are not going to enjoy the new line of bolts?

What I am saying here is, of course, pure speculation, everything could be on the 'up 'n up'

peace

Marshall

Postby Marshall » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:15 pm

I visited that cave in Dec 2003 with the Swartberg Nature Reserve officer. He saw no conservation issues with bolting in the \"new\" cave as \"the damage was already done\".

Not sure if it is on private land though.

Too hell with the tourists. Real tourists belong at Cango. They enjoy Cango. Why would they mind a line of bolts any way? The Main Wall is much more of an \"attraction\" & it has 20? lines.

Social Media

Return to “Beginners Corner”