Puffies on TM

jeff

Puffies on TM

Post by jeff » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:05 am

Hiya

was on TM yesterday training on the lower contour path, and walked. literally. into 2 big Puffies at different times. The first was right in the middle of the path, and I'd taken my eye off the ball for just a moment, and was walking and looking down towards tafelberg rd, and was literally about to step on the guy, when it spun up and hissed loudly. :shock:

That saved my ass, and I was quite surprised because I always figured that a puffy would just lie there.
An hour later, I ran into a gent and his young child near Kloof corner that had confronted another big puffie, and were a bit nervous to walk around it. I hussled th snake off the path, and we continued.

Change of seasons, co-incidence ( luck??) not sure, but be aware that there seems to be much activity at this point.

micky

Re: Puffies on TM

Post by micky » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:29 am

hehe for a sec i thought you were talking about lost tourists struggling up the mountain :lol: although i'm probably a bit of a puffy at the moment :pukel:

Spike

Post by Spike » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:55 am

Shoo. I've been hiking the mountain for about 40 years and I've only ever seen one snake there in all that time. (about 6 weeks ago)

Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Advice... don't go climbing with Jeff.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:28 pm

Seen a few snakes recently, including a puffie on the steps below the contour path en route from India Venster last week-end.

belz

Post by belz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:41 pm

I almost stood on a huge puffy going up to the lower buttresses on TM a few years back! Had to readjust my step as I was putting it down, shat myself but the puffy just chilled! :thumright

shorti

Post by shorti » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:33 pm

Methinks they are not perticularly fond of being stepped on, so they tend to go out of their way to try warn you (instead of just getting out of the way them selves). When they hiss and lift their heads up it is puffadderean for "hey fool, watch where you're going!" I can't remember where I read (or heard) it but apparantly more people die of human bites than snake bites.

Wurgle

Post by Wurgle » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:46 pm

I can't remember where I read (or heard) it but apparantly more people die of human bites than snake bites.
Moral? Don't step on a bergie! :lol: